Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New fell shoe!

Anyone spotted smiling on a race photo should receive a 5 minute penalty for not trying hard enough!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Anyone spotted smiling on a race photo should receive a 5 minute penalty for not trying hard enough!
    Exactly. And shamed as obvious imposters!

Any torn or busted limbs (a worthy indication of a proper 'sport') should be shrugged off and recorded (if worth the bother at all ) as 'a mere scratch'.
    Am Yisrael Chai

I don’t count them as injuries. I like to consider it body erosion. It makes it seem much more geological. Also the only way to prevent more body erosion is just to be harder. It’s that Joss quote “any fool can be fit, it’s being hard that’s hard”.

And photo'd doing that jump where you flick your heels together, instant disqualification and 4 year FRA ban.

And photo'd doing that jump where you flick your heels together, instant disqualification and 4 year FRA ban.
    Nonchalantly throwing your guts up just over the finish line and then just swaggering off as if nothing was amiss = advance 2 places up.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    It’s that Joss quote “any fool can be fit, it’s being hard that’s hard”.
    Fantastic - I'd not heard that before. Thanks

Rather like... 'pain is just weakness, leaving the body"
    Am Yisrael Chai

Ditto anyone giving the thumbs up.

I did once execute a (much warranted given the terrain and in no way superfluous) slightly exaggerated jump at Coniston as there was a cameraman there (see avatar). It was my gambit to be on the front cover of Fellrunner. I was obviously too youthful and sprightly as they ended up going with some old man not showing off
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

I love some of those comments

I will qualify my previous statement - fell running can be super fun but, yeah your right, fell racing is kind of hard to call fun in any way, shape or form until you cross the line at the end. Except maybe super fast, super runnable descents which do make me smile a bit...

I hate people who chat during races, often about kit choices and best running shoes, nearly always going up the first hill - bastards

Over the years I've been in some states after races that's for sure but my worst ever was probably at the end of 'my magnificent London Marathon debacle' in 2014 which I ran with absolutely zero road running training. To say that I had a tough last 6 miles is the biggest understatement ever known in the annals of race running and I was sick once having crossed the line, completely frozen with cramp trying to step up a curb, not able to move forwards or back, and then sick twice more in the middle of Horse Guards parade and couldn't do anything but lie there groaning... while my sister chatted to Hester and her sister about shopping or something . I had been on for a super duper sub 3hr 15 but had to settle for a complete train crash 3hr 30

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post

I hate people who chat during races, often about kit choices and best running shoes, nearly always going up the first hill - bastards

Standard psychological tactics there...

Start chatting... couple of minutes later complain that its a bit of a tough climb... 20 seconds later, start running up it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post

Over the years I've been in some states after races that's for sure but my worst ever was probably at the end of 'my magnificent London Marathon debacle' in 2014 which I ran with absolutely zero road running training. To say that I had a tough last 6 miles is the biggest understatement ever known in the annals of race running and I was sick once having crossed the line, completely frozen with cramp trying to step up a curb, not able to move forwards or back, and then sick twice more in the middle of Horse Guards parade and couldn't do anything but lie there groaning... while my sister chatted to Hester and her sister about shopping or something . I had been on for a super duper sub 3hr 15 but had to settle for a complete train crash 3hr 30
    I have done the cramp bit in the same context, but not the vomiting. They do say 20 miles is the true halfway point. That last 6 miles can be a living nightmare - the self questioning is awful - "why the f*** am I doing this again".