Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New fell shoe!

Thanks for your earlier post travs, got some irocks with the studs worn down but the rest of the shoe is in good shape, was thinking about getting them resoled. Will wait to hear the results of this experiment...

Mr Woodentop is great at capturing one looking at one's best. He got a shot of me having just completed my leg of the Badger stone relays bent over leaking bodily fluid from every orafice (except at the rear!). And it was on my birthday,
    Last edited by MattPo; 13-11-2020 at 08:49 PM.

First test, coefficient of static friction on wetted surface.

IMG_20201114_151313.jpg

Test surfaces: Wetted slate, wetted plywood
    Shoes on test: X-Talon 212, Walsh PB, LSR Talon 212

Method: Soak with water and assume some sort of a downward dog position from yoga. Begin wriggling a bit and making direction of force closer to the horizontal.

Results: X-Talon surprisingly unstable on damp surfaces with a noticable tendancy to aquaplane, though the best on test on a soaked surface with water running off. LSR Talon marginally worse than Walsh on damp and soaked surfaces, with a slight tendancy to aquaplane. Walsh incredibly stable on damp surfaces, wood and slate, with virtually no aquaplane. Both LSR Talon and Walsh were worse than X Talon on soaked surfaces with water running off.

Conclusion: You'd be far safer fording a river in Inov-8 sticky rubber, but as legends tell, nothing beats a Walsh on wet/damp rock. LSR Talon not favoured for fording a river, but very close to Walsh performance on wet/damp slate.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

In a practical sense, if you were lining up for the Coledale in heavy rain forecast to persist throughout the race, wear an X Talon. If it were a bit damp and drizzly then go for a Walsh, as the 212s wet performance is the inverse of that of the Walsh. The LSR Talon would be marginally more slippy than a Walsh in any conditions.

routemap30m.jpg

It's a bit difficult to see the map at that filesize, but never mind. The LSR Talon was tested over this 10.5m/2500' route today, first impressions are good. My spaghetti scales in the kitchen say that they have gained 50g with the addition of the LSR sole, so at sz9.5 they now weigh about 300g. I spent the afternoon deliberately running over slanty rocks with no concerning levels of slippage, the slabs up on the ridge are quite licheny and dodgy looking, but no slips in the end.

The descent of Slatepit Rigg is fairly steep and rough, with little in the way of clear paths. I pushed hard and was generating shear forces that would certainly make an X Talon lose grip. There was a lot of soggy stodge about, but i could hear the LSR Talon studs tearing into the turf and getting good purchase. I had the confidence to go very fast over fairly tricky ground, and i dropped down the Providence tips faster than i normally do.

Opted to test over the Great Wherny descent route into Kettlewell, seeing as it's popular. I don't like this route because it's too easy, it comes down to who can blow the hardest at the back end of a race. I think people like this one because it's uncomplicated and going fast is piss easy. The sheep had trampled the grass to a quagmire in places, but at full speed with a big stride the LSR Talon felt solid. I was surprised to see once i'd reached the bottom that the forefoot was not clogged with mud at all (this is the bit i land on). The heel was a bit gummed up, but no more than a Walsh would be.

It's going to be interesting to see how quickly they wear out and at what point they become trail shoes. I'd definitely like to try these on the treacherous middle section of the Wansfell descent and Dunnerdale, they seem to me to be a very grippy pattern.

Thanks for the detailed review, they sound alright so far.

Lots of slippy limestone and clay soil based footpaths today. No issues. You can step on wet limestone and get away with it, you can also run on paths churned to stodge by cattle and get away with it.

Anyone who has ever done Thruscross reservoir after a night of rain will know what it's like. The LSR Talon saw slurry for the first time today and coped very well indeed, no wayward moments.

Quick update. The LSR Talon has been relegated to trail shoe due to stud wear. The studs, being quite wide at the base, have worn into half marble shaped pimples which don't grab wet or slippery terrain very well. I don't really trust them any more so i won't be using them on proper fell ground again. My estimate is that you'd get a KWL series out of them quite easily.

Thanks for update. Do you think it was worth doing, for the cost?