Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strava kudos from strangers WTF????

Yes, perhaps "chapeau" would be more fitting for the majority of cyclists that use Strava.

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    That's what happens when you spend so much time in the forestry. No one can see you!
    Or underground in my case, you try digging 20 miles uphill in 2 hours!
    Possibly my avatar (same as here) puts them off, find it a bit scary?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Why do people not like other people taking an interest in a shared hobby? And let them damn we’ll give you kudos if they want to . I often attack Strava segments while out running in the hills and, although it’s safe to say I’m mainly competing with myself, you do see what other runners have been doing over the same ground (unless like johnk you keep all your info private) and it’s good to share the same experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Why do people not like other people taking an interest in a shared hobby? And let them damn we’ll give you kudos if they want to . I often attack Strava segments while out running in the hills and, although it’s safe to say I’m mainly competing with myself, you do see what other runners have been doing over the same ground (unless like johnk you keep all your info private) and it’s good to share the same experience.
    I used to do that with Strava segments too - both cycling and running. It used to incentivise me to push harder. But the flip side of that is, it can be quite demoralising when you're off form/coming back from injury etc to see how far behind you currently are from where you once were. I'm going through one of those periods now.

I also like seeing what other people are up to as well.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it... it's just doesn't appeal to me.

I can measure my training perfectly well by comparing against those in my club and training group. We all have different aims for training, and sometimes times simply don't do that justice. I remember one time last summer when i was destroying a few clubmates who are usually in front of me on mile reps... then i found out they'd already done a 10 mile run before the session and were running the reps at marathon pace.

Each to their own though... but my competition comes from seeing how i measure up in races against my previous times against against my "rivals" (some of them on this very forum!!!)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    In my case I happily share what i do with real people that I know, trust and respect however i have little interest in sharing anything with unknown unseen virtual world entities. That way i reckon that a more constructive, meaningful
    dialog can be achieved. After all look at the amount of acrimony that is created in the virtual world between people mis - understanding one another` s posted comments, very often those people would probably get on very well together in the real world.

Whilst I prefer the real world I still find the virtual world useful for filling gaps in my knowledge
    Last edited by JohnK; 20-11-2020 at 12:23 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

I have never had any use at all for Strava until a few months ago.
    Being somewhat older and taking up cycling I was out for longer and longer in very remote forestry areas, I usually had little idea of where I might go or for how long. I am also planning on a road bike so will go even further next year. Sat at home is my wife, now 70, starting to worry if I was not back - had I fallen off the bike, bonked, heart attack, mechanical problem 15 miles from home? I don't have a mobile and there is random signal.

Talking to a friend and some research I found that Strava linked with a clever phone and I can be tracked from home on the computer, so that is the plan. Except we haven't bought the phone yet, but that is on the list of "to do".
    I have found Strava quite fun chasing segments uphill (friends times) and it certainly has pushed me harder, but not sure this is entirely a good thing as I try and attack far too much when I should be taking it easy.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I have never had any use at all for Strava until a few months ago.
    Being somewhat older and taking up cycling I was out for longer and longer in very remote forestry areas, I usually had little idea of where I might go or for how long. I am also planning on a road bike so will go even further next year. Sat at home is my wife, now 70, starting to worry if I was not back - had I fallen off the bike, bonked, heart attack, mechanical problem 15 miles from home? I don't have a mobile and there is random signal.

Talking to a friend and some research I found that Strava linked with a clever phone and I can be tracked from home on the computer, so that is the plan. Except we haven't bought the phone yet, but that is on the list of "to do".
    I have found Strava quite fun chasing segments uphill (friends times) and it certainly has pushed me harder, but not sure this is entirely a good thing as I try and attack far too much when I should be taking it easy.
    Molehill before you commit to strava it could well be worth your while checking out Viewranger :-

https://my.viewranger.com/

Live tracking (Very accurate I find and reliable), OS maps, Routes and UK based etc etc for a lot less money.

Have fun
    The older I get the Faster I was

I reckon anyone who has ever posted in the Today's Training (and similar) threads would get the basic premise of Strava: share what you're up to with like-minded folk. You can have a profile open to the world or limit it to those you want to have access. Follow who you want or follow no-one. Join a club, don't join a club.

Personally I get a lot out of segments and repeated routes as I can easily view my performance over time. Segment leaderboards can be fun (or depressing), but whether you pay attention to them or not is up to you. Plus every now and then someone records a route in the shape of a cock and balls, so y'know, something for everyone.
    Geoff Clarke

https://my.viewranger.com/

Thanks for that John, I'll look into it as we haven't committed to anything yet, I'm not paying for Strava unless I have to.