Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A change is as good as a rest?

Master
    The older I get the Faster I was

I know his BG exploits were initially met with mixed feelings... But I'd love it if he broke the record... It may further dispel some of the myth about mountain/fell running being an easy touch and easy honours...

As to whether he can do it... Who knows?

Reading through I did wonder when he stated:
    “The training has been a bit frustrating the last few months going from injury to injury to injury."

This followed by pushing his sponsors new road running shoe:

"In his challenge Jornet will use Salomon’s new S/LAB Phantasm, a super lightweight road-racing shoe that will be released in the spring of 2021. He has been using the shoe for several months during his track and road running training sessions.

“I tested the prototypes of the S/LAB Phantasm a year ago and now I’m using the same shoe that will be available in spring to the public,” he said. “It’s great for road running. It’s a light, very reactive and well balanced shoe with good cushioning, which is important when you are doing longer training on hard surfaces. And the grip is really good, even in wet conditions.”

Hmmm?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I’m following this on Instagram. 303.57 km to beat....

So an average pace of 7.9 miles per hour (!!) will do it

Master
    I have just read his "Above the Clouds". He is a very interesting chap, both physiologically and philosophically. He regards races and sponsorship as necessary evils - he would rather just be out on the hills with his partner, one other like minded person, or by himself, but of course he has to make a living. Some doubt his achievements on Everest - well he has me fooled as I believe him. A really interesting read.

He did a 'training' run for this in August to get a feel for whether it might be possible. 85km in just a little under 6hrs. 4:13/km. Nuts. What a guy.

I don't have a problem with his sponsorship. He's got to make a living, and I think he does a lot of good with his elevated profile, not least his recent sustainability work. He's an incredible all round athlete and should be an inspiration to anyone lacing up a pair of running shoes.
    Last edited by Hank; 27-11-2020 at 11:52 AM.
    Geoff Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    He did a 'training' run for this in August to get a feel for whether it might be possible. 85km in just a little under 6hrs. 4:13/km. Nuts. What a guy.

I don't have a problem with his sponsorship. He's got to make a living, and I think he does a lot of good with his elevated profile, not least his recent sustainability work. He's an incredible all round athlete and should be an inspiration to anyone lacing up a pair of running shoes.
    I agree with the above and have no problem with his sponsorship and, reading between the lines, don't think Moley has either.

What I think he is alluding to, and I'm sure he will correct me if I am wrong, is that if Jornet has been having "injury after injury after injury" since he started running in different shoes why has he not decided to change them!
    In fact he can't seem to give them enough praise.

He is, as has already been said, a phenomenal athlete but is he as bright he is made out to be!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    What I think he is alluding to, and I'm sure he will correct me if I am wrong, is that if Jornet has been having "injury after injury after injury" since he started running in different shoes why has he not decided to change them!
    In fact he can't seem to give them enough praise.
    He cites the transition to flat running as the source of injury in the Grough article. I guess like anyone who spends a lot of time off-road and then shifts to big miles on the flat injury is going to be a risk. Can't really see any evidence the shoes are the cause of it, least of all because he wouldn't continue to wear them were that the case.

Also, I think when he says 'injury' he's probably more in niggle territory e.g. he ran a 29:59 10km when injured. Though apparently in training he'd run a sub-30 minute vertical km, trotted down and then run a sub-30 10km on the road, so it obviously slowed him down a bit!

About 5h30m in now and currently up on the record. Only 18h30m to go...
    Geoff Clarke

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    Though apparently in training he'd run a sub-30 minute vertical km, trotted down and then run a sub-30 10km on the road, so it obviously slowed him down a bit!
    Who timed that sub-30 vertical km? I think it somewhat unlikely that he achieved something in training that has only ever been done twice in competition. His own PB for the VK in competition is 30:25.

On the subject of injury, I'm not surprised (and nor is he, from the gist of the article) that moving from running on mountains to running on the track is causing problems. I imagine that Mo Farah might get injured if he decided to run up the Matterhorn.
    Last edited by anthonykay; 27-11-2020 at 05:04 PM.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges