Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Prolific Forumites

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    The idea being that you have any suitable cat b counter on the same day as the champs counter. Hopefully it works out that you can have one at each length, but if a long isn't there then there's nothing you can do about it, just go with what you have. If they are on the same days it will stop people running both series and unload the champs.
    How would you see the concept of a Cat B Champs working Mr B and what is the reason behind it?

I've had discussion before over Inter Counties. Many purists see it as problematic that we have tended to have 6-8 milers usually B cat on mostly marked courses that favour occasional fell runners rather than the purists.

I'm genuinely interested as I've considered and had discussions about holding a Northern Champs.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I was thinking about category B too although I’m not convinced a secondary championship should be labelled with the letter B. B sounds easier than A but it sure as heck won’t be. A trail race or a slightly lower level cat B fell race just means you have to flipping run harder and faster and, theoretically at least, whatever race or race type you compete in should see you totally knackered at the end.

Maybe call it the fell trail series or something

I thought he was referring CatB as like the old Intermediate Champs.... ie not a current or previous main champs placer/contender.... rather than being ran over CatB courses.

I think it's a nice idea... but most people on the start line at champs races (myself included) have little to no chance of getting a place... i'm not sure a CatB champs is going to entice them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Maybe call it the fell trail series or something
    I'd very much doubt this would happen given the recent stance by the FRA to distance fell-racing from trail races.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I'd very much doubt this would happen given the recent stance by the FRA to distance fell-racing from trail races.
    But it’s hard to draw the line nowadays. What about the well worn line ‘but the 3 Peaks fell race is a trail race’? Snowdon and Ingleborough fell races definitely are too.

Its only in the U.K. that you really have a distinction anyway - trail races in the US and Europe include some very very big mountains. Theoretically it’s only because our mountains are comparatively tame that we are more able to leave trails and go open fell. I suspect going off trail high in the Rocky Mountains might be a tad more tricky (as well as a bit more rattle snakey, beary and cougary)
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 04-12-2020 at 02:31 PM.

I wasn't suggesting that it is technically 100% correct (although i do wholeheartedly agree with their stance, and their reasoning behind it as detailed in the latest mag).

But just that after making that distinction, there's little-to-no chance they would be including "trail" in any championship names any time soon.

I like the idea of a Category B champs Travs, given my poor steep descending and climbing 😉 Maybe take out the nav element too 😁

Quote Originally Posted by gazb View Post
    I like the idea of a Category B champs Travs, given my poor steep descending and climbing �� Maybe take out the nav element too ��
    Sounds like you're in need of some cross-country Gaz

Club XC handicap tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    ......... I suspect going off trail high in the Rocky Mountains might be a tad more tricky (as well as a bit more rattle snakey, beary and cougary)
    If anything is going to make one run faster and win the race, it is meeting one of these on the trail
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.