Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Staffs Moorlands 3 Peaks

Staffs Moorlands 3 Peaks

I ran a lovely off road, circular route from gun hill trig point over hen cloud, the roaches and finishing back at gun hill trig. It can be ran almost all off road and without covering the same ground twice.
    I thought it makes a very nice sprint challenge for these lockdown race starved times.
    I clocked 1 hr 35 mins and am currently the world record holder, and only participant. The mud was a bit thick in places so hope to go faster in summer.
    Good luck to anyone else who fancies it.
    Jonathan

Staffs Moorlands 3 Peaks

Quote Originally Posted by jwpipes66 View Post
    I ran a lovely off road, circular route from gun hill trig point over hen cloud, the roaches and finishing back at gun hill trig. It can be ran almost all off road and without covering the same ground twice.
    I thought it makes a very nice sprint challenge for these lockdown race starved times.
    I clocked 1 hr 35 mins and am currently the world record holder, and only participant. The mud was a bit thick in places so hope to go faster in summer.
    Jonathan
    Sounds great Jon
    I’ll defo give it a go before Xmas !!

Forgot to add it's approx 8 miles with 600m of ascent. I went anti clockwise, the footpaths are a bit tricky from roach end to the top of gun. Worth paying attention to a map

Jonathan
    Sounds good.

If you haven't already seen it you might want to look at the Gritstone Any Time Challenge thread on here, started by Moorlander.

It's around 20 miles and covers some of the same ground but mainly farther to the east.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 02-12-2020 at 12:29 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

An interesting variant (a pan-handle for your run) is from the Morridge to the Doxy's Pool on top of the Roaches. With a bit of luck you may even hear the mermaid singing in one of her two inter-connected pools.
    Fox Avatar "Protected" by Hester Cox - Printmaker

I did Gun Hill, Hen Cloud, Roaches today. Very muddy as you'd expect at this time of year. And just over 10 miles for me (although I maybe added 0.5 with a few missed footpaths).

I think it was just over 2 hours. I was looking forward to sharing stats from my GPS, but my watch doesn't seem to have saved it. Maybe I pressed the wrong buttons in my cold-fingered, slightly addled state.

Thanks for sharing jwpipes66, I've never thought of connecting these three.

Glad you enjoyed the route. Had another run with a GPS, it clocked 9.25 miles and 622m ascent but I do know the route quite well and the footpaths are a bit tricky. It ll definitely get quicker when it dries out.

Hi Jon. Did this with Tom Stoddart today in 1h24. Clocked at 8.9m. Probably the optimum route. Very slippy ice and icy snow but at least the mud was mostly frozen. Gaz

That's a good time in v slippy conditions. Martin Deardon ran 1.27 on sun too. Well done

Had a beautifully lit run around the Pipers Loop this morning, some amazing crepuscular rays spotlighting the high point of Hen Cloud as I was running across the valley by Meerbrook showing me the way to go! The recent dry spell made the connies underfoot way better than the last time I went round this loop which was like a scene from ice age. Anyways, ticked a 1:21:47 on a cracking morning trot out. Defo a sub 1:20 to be had.