Page 13 of 86 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Sally

set + rest = 3 mins Chest, abs, knees press-ups.

31 - 21 -13 -15 -11 - 11 - 12 - 11
    Am Yisrael Chai

Dumbbell bicep curls 2x10kg. Eccentric lowering (count of 5). 3 mins rest between sets.

36 - 22- 17 - 15 - 13 - 13 - 13
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Moderate vs light loads - 8-12 vs 20-25 reps to failure:

https://twitter.com/SandCResearch/st...602816/photo/1

Another Sally attempt this evening - 2 mins 12 secs - I'm getting worse!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Moderate vs light loads - 8-12 vs 20-25 reps to failure:

https://twitter.com/SandCResearch/st...602816/photo/1
    That's really interesting Mike - thanks for posting. I was wondering though, if the weight remains the same for, say bicep curls, but the number of reps per set declines due to fatigue over a series of set (from say 25 plus, down to set of 10 to 12) is that having an equivalent effect? Ummm... I'm guessing probably not as the muscles will be in a different state of 'potential' once the exercise period has begun, compared to when they were fresh at the start of the period. Not sure I'm making sense - must be cognitve fatigue as well
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    That's really interesting Mike - thanks for posting. I was wondering though, if the weight remains the same for, say bicep curls, but the number of reps per set declines due to fatigue over a series of set (from say 25 plus, down to set of 10 to 12) is that having an equivalent effect? Ummm... I'm guessing probably not as the muscles will be in a different state of 'potential' once the exercise period has begun, compared to when they were fresh at the start of the period. Not sure I'm making sense - must be cognitve fatigue as well
    They did 3 sets of each exercise, and each set was done to failure. I assume they stuck with the same weight, and the number of reps came down as they worked through the sets, but as it was only 3 sets, not by that much. The light group did a lot more work, but only obtained a similar amount of hypertrophy.

So I think it depends on what sort of weight is available, and whether you enjoy a light or a moderate weight, as long as the sets are done to failure.

set + rest = 3 mins Chest, abs, knees press-ups.

32 - 24 -12 -11 -14!! - 11 - 12 - 11

Not sure what happened to get 14. A sudden surge of positive thinking seems so uncharacteristic. Need to watch that
    Am Yisrael Chai

Dumbbell bicep curls 2x10kg. Eccentric lowering (count of 5) to failure. 3 mins rest between sets.

33-23-16-13-12-13-10
    Am Yisrael Chai

set + rest = 3 mins Chest to floor, abs, knees to floor press-ups.

36 (Yaaay) - 22 -16 -11- 11 - 11 - 11

As I found with bicep-curls, I'm going to have to rethink this regime. I was chuffed I could churn out 36 'out of the bag' so to speak, but it meant that there was precious little time to rest before the start of set 2 (about 1 min). So set 2 was particularly brutal. After that I always had about 2 mins of the 3mins remaining for rest/recovery, and that seems to allow a 'base' number of reps of around 11 - which I could have continued.

Next time I'm going to return to a set rest period of 3 mins, regardless of how long each set takes to complete and see what effect that has. Not sure which is the best regime for strength building. May need to tweak the manner (elevated feet or add weight) of the first set to make that set harder and so reduce the number of reps. We'll see.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Every Minute On the Minute (EMOM) press-ups routine. That's 10 reps (floor to lock to floor) press-ups every minute for 10 minutes.

This is the reverse of yesterday's regime, as it becomes much, much harder after an initially easy first few sets of just 10 press-ups. As one inevitably slows, the remaining time (secs) for recovery within each minute is markedly reduced. Figures are for secs of remaining time in each i min. period for each of the 10 mins.

41 - 41 - 38 - 38 - 35 - 29 - 27 - 22 - 10 - FAIL

I just couldn't do the final 10 reps in the final set of the last minute, as I only managed to squeeze out a measly, excruciating 7 reps . Ouch!

Probably should have tried a non-press-up exercise after yesterday's. Also, I had a fall on ice during today's run, which has left my leg knee aching a bit (excuses, excuses )
    Am Yisrael Chai