Page 2 of 79 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Sally

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    I went to secondary school in the 70s and gym sessions were all rope climbs, pull-ups, press-ups and sit-ups. Interesting how press-up styles have changed from elbows out to elbows tucked in, and how sit-ups are becoming taboo, due to back issues. I'd never heard of 'a plank' until my 30s !!
    The best thing ever was Pirates in the gym with all the kit out, ropes, wall bars, vaulting boxes, beams etc - the tossers eventually decided it was too dangerous/too hard and stopped it. Nearly 50 years later I have not forgiven them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    The best thing ever was Pirates in the gym with all the kit out, ropes, wall bars, vaulting boxes, beams etc - the tossers eventually decided it was too dangerous/too hard and stopped it. Nearly 50 years later I have not forgiven them.
    I bet nowadays they have just changed a letter and do Pilates!

Not so much rough and tumble but very good. I had my most injury free period when doing it. Waiting for classes to start again.

I have tried doing it at home whilst watching someone on TV but it is not the same as I miss the occasional touch of the instructors fingertips on my bum and shoulders making sure I am in the right position.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 04-12-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    I have been trying to find a time to do this again - but the Broga and HIIT sessions I do - 4 a week in total - often involve press-ups, so the relevant muscles are constantly knackered. This morning's HIIT involved 125 press-ups ....

My favourite conditioning challenge was always 100 strict Burpees with Pressups.

I reckon anyone getting under 8 minutes is in very good nick... under 7 is serious.

It's a lot harder than it sounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    My favourite conditioning challenge was always 100 strict Burpees with Pressups.

I reckon anyone getting under 8 minutes is in very good nick... under 7 is serious.

It's a lot harder than it sounds.
    Lots of co-ordination/balance/timing challenges with those. I've very closely studied this lass' technique for some excellent instruction...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLBImHhCXSw
    Am Yisrael Chai

Lots of co-ordination/balance/timing challenges with those. I've very closely studied this lass' technique for some excellent instruction...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLBImHhCXSw
    Breath is important!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Breath is important!
    Indeed. Any sort of panting to be avoided.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Managed to get to the 15th press-up. I need to work at this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Managed to get to the 15th press-up. I need to work at this.

Goodness Mike! With the substantial amount of running you're clocking up, plus broga, HIT, etc. I really didn't mean to introduce another challenge to you!

Having said that, I understand how annoying this challenge can be, In my mind's eye, psychologically, before I make each attempt, the imagine of myself doing better than previously is ever present. However, it's in the subsequent bloomin' execution when I hit the sudden, obdurate, physical reality of having absolutely no more arm power to lift!

My best time is 2 min 17, but recently it's been a struggle to pass 2 min (about 18 press-ups). I'm regressing!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Goodness Mike! With the substantial amount of running you're clocking up, plus broga, HIT, etc. I really didn't mean to introduce another challenge to you!

Having said that, I understand how annoying this challenge can be, In my mind's eye, psychologically, before I make each attempt, the imagine of myself doing better than previously is ever present. However, it's in the subsequent bloomin' execution when I hit the sudden, obdurate, physical reality of having absolutely no more arm power to lift!

My best time is 2 min 17, but recently it's been a struggle to pass 2 min (about 18 press-ups). I'm regressing!
    I had a go at this yesterday with the family. I managed about a minute, so lots to work on.

On the upside, I beat my teenage kids. Although they were a bit less committed having been informed by me that it would be a fun family challenge.