Page 51 of 84 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Sally

EMOM press-ups routine. 11 reps (floor to lock to floor) press-ups, every minute, for 10 minutes.

Secs remaining for each of the 10X 1 min sets.

45 - 45 - 44 - 41 - 41 - 41 - 41 - 29 - 25 - 18
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    It's just very hard to get a benchmark on difficulty when you have nothing to go on; i don't even understand the reference in the thread title. The best yardstick is age and gender...

I accepted your invite nevertheless and gave it a go, my remaining times were- 48, 48, 48, 48, 48, 48, 48, 48, 47, 47. I'm disappointed about the tailing off at the end, and i wouldn't be able to do it all morning as my tennis elbow was flaring up by number 7.
    Great effort MrB. And, there's your bench mark. I see it an individual thing, rather than age/sex.. Give 12 reps go and see how that feels (once your elbow improves)? That'll be a 20% increase - very tough for me.

Mike's point about floor, to lock, to floor is significant though. For example, I could regularly churn you 50 plus press-up in once session (64 in under 2 mins in my prime!), but when I started from the floor it drastically cut that down to low 30s.

Not sure how the 15kg bar equates. The floor start and finish per rep entails all your body weight on the floor, resting on your chin, chest, pelvis, knees, feet. I found that to prevent myself from cheating (unconsciously, honestly), that when I lower my self to the floor to complete a rep, I slightly and momentarily lift my hands off the floor, as this ensures my full weight is 'dead'. Otherwise I noted how when I was tiring I was touching the floor slightly, along my body, but the sustained muscle tension allowed for a quicker (and easier) lift. If that makes sense.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Great effort MrB. And, there's your bench mark. I see it an individual thing, rather than age/sex.. Give 12 reps go and see how that feels (once your elbow improves)? That'll be a 20% increase - very tough for me.

Mike's point about floor, to lock, to floor is significant though. For example, I could regularly churn out 50 plus press-up in one session (64 in under 2 mins in my prime!), but when I started from the floor it drastically cut that down to low 30s.

Not sure how the 15kg bar equates. The floor start and finish per rep entails all your body weight on the floor, resting on your chin, chest, pelvis, knees, feet. I found that to prevent myself from cheating (unconsciously, honestly), that when I lower my self to the floor to complete a rep, I slightly and momentarily lift my hands off the floor, as this ensures my full weight is 'dead'. Otherwise I noted how when I was tiring I was touching the floor slightly, along my body, but the sustained muscle tension allowed for a quicker (and easier) lift. If that makes sense.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post

Mike's point about floor, to lock, to floor is significant though. For example, I could regularly churn out 50 plus press-up in one session (64 in under 2 mins in my prime!), but when I started from the floor it drastically cut that down to low 30s.

Some call them hands off press-ups. For me, 40 to 50 ordinary press-ups = about 20 chest to floor press-ups. They are not just harder, but more objective - you are either fully rested on the floor or you are not. This means comparisons - with ourselves over time, and with others, are more meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post

My wrists are buggered from decades in engineering so i can't comfortably adopt a floor pressup position, it has to be on a bar i can grip or on my fists; which doesn't take long to hurt depending on the surface my knuckles are on. I can get my chest on the bar, though.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    10 press-ups EMOM for 15 minutes - the "trick" being these were traditional press-ups, not chest to floor. Traditional press-ups are so much easier.

Press-ups (floor to lock to floor) to failure per set - 1 min recovery intervals between sets.

31 - 20 - 13 - 10 - 11 - 10 - 12 - 10
    Am Yisrael Chai

Dumbbell bicep curls. 2 X 12.5 kg. Simultaneous lifting with both arms.Eccentric lowering. 2 mins break between sets, during which I did (x10) reps of floor to lock to floor press-ups. Curl Reps were to failure, per set.

25 (10) - 17 (10) - 12 (10) - 12 (10) - 11 (10) - 9 (10) - 9 (10)
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    EMOM for 30 minutes: the 1st 15 = 6 chest to floor press-ups, the last 15 = 2 chin-ups. So totals = 90 + 30.

EMOM - sets of 11 press-ups, floor to lock to floor. Time in secs remaining for each min.

44 - 43 - 43 - 42 - 42 - 39 - 36 - 30 - 26 - 11
    Am Yisrael Chai