Page 56 of 89 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
Results 551 to 560 of 886

Thread: Today's Sally

  1. #551
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ambleside
    Posts
    5,568
    Chest to floor press-ups EMOM for 45 minutes: 5 sets of 8, 5 sets of 6, 5 sets of 5, all the rest sets of 4. A total of 215.

    A new experience - once I had settled into the sets of 4, doing the first couple of reps of each set I seemed to float up effortlessly. Wonderful! It reminded me of doing stair climbing with, initially, a heavy pack on my back - it was effortless at first when I took it off.

  2. #552
    Moderator Mossdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Teesdale
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Chest to floor press-ups EMOM for 45 minutes: 5 sets of 8, 5 sets of 6, 5 sets of 5, all the rest sets of 4. A total of 215.

    A new experience - once I had settled into the sets of 4, doing the first couple of reps of each set I seemed to float up effortlessly. Wonderful! It reminded me of doing stair climbing with, initially, a heavy pack on my back - it was effortless at first when I took it off.
    Hey that sounds like fun. I'll give it ago sometime. Great effort by the way.

    Re leg extension research, initially that made me think about the use of legs when rowing, which is an exercise I do regularly. However, looking at leg extension machines, and thinking about the movement, it doesn't seem to be a nature movement that one would perform frequently in nature (although rowing too perhaps with both legs being moved simultaneously in the same directions), other than taking a shed-load of penalty shots in football, or kicking steps up a snowy massive mountain side!
    Am Yisrael Chai

  3. #553
    Moderator Mossdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Teesdale
    Posts
    2,812
    EMOM - sets of 10 press-ups, floor to lock to floor. Time in secs remaining for each min.

    43 - 42 - 43 - 42 - 43 - 40 - 40 - 39 - 39 - 39
    Am Yisrael Chai

  4. #554
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ambleside
    Posts
    5,568
    I thought I should have a go at sets to failure for a change rather than volume - chin-ups, set + rest = 5 minutes, 6 sets: 5 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4. So 25 in total.

  5. #555
    Moderator Mossdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Teesdale
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I thought I should have a go at sets to failure for a change rather than volume - chin-ups, set + rest = 5 minutes, 6 sets: 5 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4. So 25 in total.
    Really well done. That would be beyond me even without a dodgy elbow!
    Am Yisrael Chai

  6. #556
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ambleside
    Posts
    5,568
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Really well done. That would be beyond me even without a dodgy elbow!
    Thanks Mossdog.

  7. #557
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ambleside
    Posts
    5,568
    Interesting: larger velocity loss, in other words closer to failure, is more beneficial in terms of muscle size, and therefore presumably strength:

    "In strength-trained lifters, training closer to failure by using a large velocity loss in the squat (40%
    velocity loss) and the bench press (60% velocity loss) caused greater increases in vasts lateralis and triceps brachii
    muscle thickness compared to a small velocity loss in the squat (20% velocity loss) and bench press (30% velocity loss).
    Gains in maximum strength were similar (albeit there was a tendency for bench press 1RM to increase more with a
    large velocity loss). In contrast, high-velocity strength tended to increase more after training further from failure."

  8. #558
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ambleside
    Posts
    5,568
    From: Myrholt, R. B., Solberg, P., Pettersen, H., Seynnes, O., & Paulsen, G. (2023). Effects of Low-
    Versus High-Velocity-Loss Thresholds With Similar Training Volume on Maximal Strength and Hypertrophy
    in Highly Trained Individuals. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance, 1(aop), 1-10.

  9. #559
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Press-ups (floor to lock to floor) to failure per set - 1 min recovery intervals between sets.

    32 - 12 - 14 - 10 - 11 - 10 - 9 - 8 - 8
    I suggest this thread needs fewer numbers and more photographs.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  10. #560
    Moderator Mossdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Teesdale
    Posts
    2,812
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I suggest this thread needs fewer numbers and more photographs.
    Ummm...the moderators have an onerous enough workload already, it seems!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •