Page 60 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Sally

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Oops - a day late - I was within minutes of starting these yesterday when my partner reminded me that I had to sort out my evening meal - oven roasted pasta with veggies - delicious, but it takes time to sort out.

Chin-ups, sets to failure, set + rest = 4 minutes, 10 sets: 5 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 3 - 3 - 3 - 3. So 37 in total.
    Stop flaunting your press-up ability Mike T!!! You'll be doing them with ankle weights soon.

Every time the 'monkey' on my shoulder nags me to start doing some of these again, my resolve buckles and I take the easy route and pick up some weights!
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Chest to floor press-ups, 10 sets to failure, 4 minutes = set + rest: 22 - 15 - 13 - 12 - 12 - 11 - 11 - 10 - 10 - 10. Total = 126.

EMOM - sets of 11 press-ups, floor to lock to floor. Time in secs remaining for each min.

42 - 42 - 41 - 42 - 42 - 42 - 38 - 33 - 23 - 12
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Chin-ups, sets to failure, set + rest = 4 minutes, 8 sets: 5 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 3 - 4 - 3 - 3. So 30 in total.

I suspect I need to change the stimulus - a backpack with some light weights in it?

Master
    Some thoughts on resistance exercise from my recent reading - factors affecting benefits include the following:

Volume of work done - the more the better, but with lots of provisos.

Sets must be done as close to task failure as possible to obtain maximum benefit.

First sets - to failure - provide as much benefit as the next 3 - 5 sets.

Task failure is a decision - the relevant muscle could do at least 1 more rep, but we decide that the effort involved is not worth it.

It is not necessary to cause muscle soreness to benefit.

Training when muscles are still sore provides little if any benefit.

Training frequency at a given volume: up to a point higher frequency is better as then more first sets are done.

Muscle soreness is not due to tears in the muscle - it is due to Calcium ion movement which in turn incites an inflammatory response and the inflammation is what causes damage - followed by repair.

The benefit of repeating the same number of sets and reps will soon plateau - a change in stimulus is needed.

Some thoughts on resistance exercise from my recent reading - factors affecting benefits include the following:

Training when muscles are still sore provides little if any benefit.
    Muscle soreness is not due to tears in the muscle - it is due to Calcium ion movement which in turn incites an inflammatory response and the inflammation is what causes damage - followed by repair.
    I don't disagree with anything you've said but do you have references for the above extracts from your post, as there seem to be implications for running here? Thanks

Master
    Have a look at Chris Beardsley and Brett Boettcher on X. Lots of interesting stuff.

Thanks Mike

For those who are trying to learn something from this thread, here is a link to some words of wisdom from Brett Boettcher

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...397234205.html

For those who don't like clicking on links, here's a few points from it:

5) Not taking your sets to failure

If you aren't getting within 2 reps of failure, the set isn't helping you build muscle. Don't just exercise. Train.

6) Doing too many exercises and sets

Volume can be effective, but you get more out of 2 hard sets taken to failure than 4 sets just going through the motions.

and this one might be bad news for those of you doing EMOM

7) Not resting long enough between exercises

If you are running around the gym like a chicken with your head cut off it will be hard to get stronger.

Resting at least 90 seconds between lifts means more tension on the muscle during the next set. More tension means more growth.

Dumbbell bicep curls. 2 X 12.5 kg. Simultaneous lifting with both arms.Eccentric lowering. 2 mins break between sets. Curl Reps were to failure, per set.

26 - 17 - 12 - 11 - 11 - 10 - 10 - 9 - 9 - 10
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Chest to floor press-ups, with a weighted pack on my back, total weight 4.1 kgs, 8 sets to failure, 4 minutes = set + rest: 18 - 13 - 11 - 10 - 10 - 10 - 9 - 9. Total = 90.