Page 9 of 97 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Sally

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    25 - 18 - 18 - 17 - 15. Five minutes rest between sets. I am trying to use the five minutes to get ready to go out for my run rather than just "recovering".
    Well done Mike. Similar 'exponential' (?) pattern emerging there.

Last night I was pondering on the length of the rest periods between sets, and specifically whether I should drop it to 2 mins. A quick internet search came up with a bewildering range of suggestions, leaving me just as confused.

Anyway, I did find this https://www.calisthenics-101.co.uk/h...g-calisthenics which seemed more helpful, and also recommending 24 hrs rest periods too, but with cardio if static holds are one of the goals. I'm not interested in static holds per se, but the regime seems right for me and fits in nicely (if there's any validity in the article) with fell running. So today, no press-ups, but another 8 plus mile run on the fells behind my house, in the sunny, if blustery, north Pennines. 26 miles total so far this week. I've also not used the rower today even though that's more pull than push!

I also came across this site re the 'perfect push up training' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tHNYgrcN0 .
    Am Yisrael Chai

It would be the opposite of exponential?

Plotted on a graph would be similar to a 1/x curve?

(trying to remember my school days and miserable failures at A-level maths)

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    It would be the opposite of exponential?

Plotted on a graph would be similar to a 1/x curve?

(trying to remember my school days and miserable failures at A-level maths)
    Negative exponential; what is often referred to as exponential decay.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Well my Maths peaked at GCE O Level many moons ago so I'm definitely out of my depth I know what exponential growth is (well sort of), so looking at the pattern of decline to see if there was a term for the inverse and found this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_decay

Either way, there's an interesting decline in muscle/strength performance and I wondered what the underling bio-chemistry/physiology might have been.

Meanwhile I did find this reference:

"When describing anaerobic performance, authors usually refer to a drop in anaerobic performance as fatigue index (FI) which is conventionally calculated using peak and low power data points. Meanwhile, another possible method in explaining anaerobic fatigue is using the rate constant which is derived from the exponential decline of power output known as fatigue rate (FR)."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3813710/

Looking elsewhere, it seems the process, unsurprisingly, is very complex and not just down to acidoses as I'd imagined. Every day is a school day
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    24 - 17 - 16 - 13 - 13 - 10 - 10 - 10. Done after my run for once. Five minutes between sets.

3 mins rest between sets

26!

Not sure what happened with the first set. I did do some arm curls with a set of 2x10 kg weights this morning, 35 30 25, but that was hours before the press-ups. Also after today's run on the fells behind the house, but a mere 6.44 miles and 899 feet of ascent.
    Am Yisrael Chai

3 mins rest periods
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Chinups today: 3 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 1. Five minutes between sets.

If I don't do these from time to time, I lose the ability to do any. I had been mixing them up with my press-ups, but that must adversely affect the second exercise.

If you can do 30+ press-ups, then, according to rep max charts, you should be able to do 1 one armed press-up. Have you tried it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Chinups today: 3 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 2 - 1. Five minutes between sets.

If I don't do these from time to time, I lose the ability to do any. I had been mixing them up with my press-ups, but that must adversely affect the second exercise.

If you can do 30+ press-ups, then, according to rep max charts, you should be able to do 1 one armed press-up. Have you tried it?
    Chin ups - ouch! I've had a chin-up bar in my byre for a couple of years (it's one of those that compresses into a door frame) The idea was to do a set every time I pass through the doorway. Never achieved however. Its position does mean I can only do pull-ups with my palms behind the bar( facing me, if that makes sense), while I've heard somewhere it's better to do them with palms on the same side of the bar as the body.

It's been a long time since I tried one-arm push-ups, and I'm hesitant because i wonder if the asymmetric forces involved might knacker my back. I tend to keep exercises symmetrical as possible these days.

I did find this vid on a callisthenics site I have found generally to be informative regarding body weight exercises and techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8tHNYgrcN0

In the vid there's a training procedure called EMOM for sets of 10 reps- Every Minute On the Minute for 10 mins - which is new to me and sounds interesting. I've not tried it yet, but will give it a go.

Recently, I've also found that there's "The Impossible Press-Up'. Which entails starting from the up position, and very slowly lowering to the down position, taking 1 mins and 30 sec, no faster, followed immediately by the reverse to the up position, again taking 1 min 30 secs. Sounds simple, but so does the Bring Sally Up Challenge I'll have a bash sometime this following week. Obviously very tough and might help improve my Sally performance if i practise it.
    Last edited by Mossdog; 27-11-2022 at 07:01 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Palms on same side of body = pull ups.

Palms facing you = chin ups.

Chin ups are easier. Pull ups are technically better as work the back more, but consequently are much harder to do.

Personally prefer chin ups as can do more, therefore getting a better workout... my pull-ups are so pitiful that i can't actually get a decent workout doing them.