Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Category B races

Category B races

Inspired by a post elsewhere... what do people think are the best Cat B races?

Stretton Skyline: but for the double crossing of the A49 it could and should be a champs regular. I think it drops to B status by virtue of the final few miles (which incidentally are the hardest part of the race!)

Brecon Beacons: Another brute of a race.

Any others?

Edale Skyline, original route, would have been Cat A if it were a little shorter I think.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Inspired by a post elsewhere... what do people think are the best Cat B races?

Stretton Skyline: but for the double crossing of the A49 it could and should be a champs regular. I think it drops to B status by virtue of the final few miles (which incidentally are the hardest part of the race!)

Brecon Beacons: Another brute of a race.

Any others?
    Chrome Hill BS and Passing Clouds BM.

I'm sure there was a brand of cigarettes called Passing Clouds!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Passing Clouds was my 2nd ever fell race.

On the Peaks theme... i always thought that the Marsden-Edale Trigger was actually a CatB in terms of stats... but was bumped up to CatA (quite rightly) due to the incredibly difficult nature of the race.

But without checking the feet/mile requirements, it perhaps does make the CatA with something like 5400ft.

[QUOTE=Llani Boy;670228]Chrome Hill BS and Passing Clouds BM.

And whilst we're over that way, the Roaches is another great route, well apart from the knee deep slurry and electric fence in the farm yard.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

I don’t really recognise the distinction that cat A races (steeper per mile) are harder than cat B races (faster per mile). And if you make cat A races longer without adding more mountains, they eventually become cat B by default anyway.

The 3 peaks, which is listed as Cat A is I’m sure really only a Cat B in its overall steepness, which then confuses the distinction even further. I definitely think the 3P is super tough by the way and ironically is all the tougher for the long and fast section between PyG and Whernside and again the long run in to the finish after Ingleborough
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 04-12-2020 at 02:44 PM.

[QUOTE=bigfella;670234]
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Chrome Hill BS and Passing Clouds BM.

And whilst we're over that way, the Roaches is another great route, well apart from the knee deep slurry and electric fence in the farm yard.
    When I've done Passing Clouds the path crossing the field just after the start is nice running. Over an hour later returning through the same field it is covered in freshly spread manure.

I am told it is a regular occurrence!

Yeah the Roaches is a beast. Punches way above what the stats would suggest.

Although I live in Leek and both race and train on the Passing Clouds, Roaches and Chrome Hill routes, they are not my favourites. Maybe I know them too well?! Off the top of my head, 5 of my favourite official B races are Longshaw Sheepdog, Boar's Head/Bowstones, Calton, Half Tour Pendle and Rivington Pike.

Calton yes. A proper old fashioned village race.

I heard that it will no longer be run because the RO lives in Scotland and due to his age he struggles with the 600 miles round trip!