Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fell races, what are they?

[QUOTE=Travs;670408]Fellbeast.... in your opinion, Haworth Hobble (i know it's a race you like, as i've seen you there a couple of times)...... given your comments above, is it a trail race or a fell race?

QUOTE]

Fellbeast: I think you should warm up first with something simple like how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Clearly what's needed here is a Venn diagram.

I'm imagining a sort of Olympic logo which goes:

Road, Trail, Fell, Mountain marathon, Orienteering

I'm not sure where Adventure fits?

You need another ring called "money making "!!

Ha the Haworth Hobble is definitely a ultra trail race. (Isn’t the definition of an ultra 30 miles plus?). It’s definitely not a fell race that’s for sure - it’s mostly a mixture of flagstones, cart tracks and tarmac really but still a damn fine run out in the hills and moors of Brontë country

[QUOTE=Fellbeast;670407]I think an ideal fell race has to include at least one good hill or fell to climb, one good hill or fell to pelt back down again, with at least one stretch where there may be multiple routes available that may be, but don't have to be, off trail. With tarmac kept to the absolute minimum. And with little or no marked routing. An ideal fell race isn't a navigation event (its not orienteering) but navigation skills are needed to either find the best line or, if you get lost, to find any line at all.

Running wise I would agree with all the above but would add that the start/finish field should have a village fete or show going on and/or a decent pub nearby
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post

Running wise I would agree with all the above but would add that the start/finish field should have a village fete or show going on and/or a decent pub nearby
    Darn tooting. With a hot bowl of beef or veggie chuck everything in stew too

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Ha the Haworth Hobble is definitely a ultra trail race. (Isn’t the definition of an ultra 30 miles plus?). It’s definitely not a fell race that’s for sure - it’s mostly a mixture of flagstones, cart tracks and tarmac really but still a damn fine run out in the hills and moors of Brontë country
    The state of some people as they stumble into Mankinholes is always a reminder to me of how gruelling the route is. Some of them can't function properly and leave their dogs behind after having failed to turn the water tap on and eaten a donut off the floor. It's amazing how long it can take someone who is exhausted and incoherent to turn a water butt tap on. They seem to be furiously against the clock too, like someone's given them half an hour to prepare a 4 course christmas dinner for the FRA presentation evening. They're all rattling like smackheads too and arrive demanding Ibuprofen and tablets i've never heard of before. One year a woman chewed 3 Ibuprofens like they were smarties, then washed it down with a shot of whiskey and ran off; she left the shotglass full of bits of chewed up pills.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

That about sums me up at the end of the Hobble.

It's when you hit the "flying descent" off Stoodley Pike, but find you haven't got any "flight" left in you...

My view on the Hobble, i'd call it an Ultra-Fell Race (is that another new ring we need?!?). I'd imagine it had a little more fell terrain when it was inaugurated, but the "improvements" on the route mean a lot of that is gone. I don't think i could call it a pure Trail Race as it's not marked, and has fell "heritage".

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    It's when you hit the "flying descent" off Stoodley Pike, but find you haven't got any "flight" left in you...

My view on the Hobble, i'd call it an Ultra-Fell Race (is that another new ring we need?!?). I'd imagine it had a little more fell terrain when it was inaugurated, but the "improvements" on the route mean a lot of that is gone. I don't think i could call it a pure Trail Race as it's not marked, and has fell "heritage".
    It’s got that bastard ascent too, up the battered old steps from Market Street in Hebden Bridge