Thread: Training plans

Training plans

Hi all,

I think for the first time I might try to follow a training plan (my target is the SLMM score) rather than just run and run some more. What are peoples experiences of buying a training plan? Or does anyone have recomendations for books (or resources) they have used to right their own plans?

I got a training plan from this gentleman about 5 years ago, which worked quite well.
    https://fellrunningguide.co.uk/coaching/

I know someone else in my club who's using his services too.

There a probably lots of books that would help you write one yourself. However, sometimes it's good to get a second opinion.

There's a series of books available at Pete Bland Sports...

Training For Uphill Running (or similarly titled)
    Training For Downhill Running

In the same series there's one more tailored to Mountain Marathon type events. I'd imagine that one, if not all of them, would be of interest.

All the books i mentioned are on here...

https://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/de...oks_d01719.htm

Master
    Kilian Jornet's "Training for the Uphill Athlete" has got lots of training advice and schedules for various mountain disciplines.

Master
    I would be inclined to go down the resources route and seek out and join a club that is active in the disciplines that interest you (Unless you are already a member of one) and train with them seeking out somebody that is able to train with you and coach you will pay far bigger dividends than sitting down and reading books about what works for somebody else.

As we are all different we need to work at finding out what will work for us and you have to get out and explore your own potential and what it is that allows us to reach our peak, and you can`t beat practical experience .

Good luck.
    Last edited by JohnK; 18-12-2020 at 10:33 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I got a training plan from this gentleman about 5 years ago, which worked quite well.

There a probably lots of books that would help you write one yourself. However, sometimes it's good to get a second opinion.
    I've always been a bit off professional coaches. I'm not taking a pop by the way.

I coached for 13 years, 2-3 times a week, attended 100s of Track, Cross Country, Road and Fell fixtures and never charged a penny.

I can't explain why, because I've often made the case within my own club about the need to get more professional as a club. I think it perhaps stems from a few athletes that have joined my group in the past, who had previously paid a professional coach beforehand, and yet seemed to want a bit more one-to-one out of me when I had up to 100 athletes under my and my assistants' wings at any one time than they got out of the paid coach.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

I used to run for clubs but with kids and a busy work life it's difficult to find the time. When this round of lockdown ceases I might look into it again.

With the book option, I think I'd end up writing a plan and then just trying to squeeze more miles out of it and not "feel the benefit" of the structure, maybe I quite like the idea of someone telling me what to do.

Witton, I understand your feeling to paid for coaches. I think I feel the same. Fellrunningguide seems well respected though and seems to know his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Kilian Jornet's "Training for the Uphill Athlete" has got lots of training advice and schedules for various mountain disciplines.
    Another vote for that book.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post

I'm currently being coached by Dave and seems to be going really well. First time I've had any outside help but I feel like I'm doing my most consistent and strongest running so far and most importantly I havent had to succumb to any overuse issues since training with him where as before I kept falling into this cycle of getting niggling overuse injuries, working my way back and then getting carried away and getting injured again. I'm hoping by having some structured help I should start to push through the plateau I found myself in all last year.

Biggest problem though...what the f#$% do I aim for this year? I had it in mind to just get race fit for spring / summer racing but I'm already getting the since that 2021 isnt likely to be much better than 2020.