Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-running waterproof

Non-running waterproof

Seasons greetings!

I want to buy my first non-running waterproof for about 25 years. It’s for family walks in the mountains (slow pace!) and hanging around assessing D of E groups. I’m thinking of a modern equivalent to the old Berghaus Lightning gore-tex. Any recommendations?

Many thanks,

Rob

Go Outdoors shops usually have a decent choice of waterproof jackets, from cheap up to several hundred pounds.

I notice you're in Shropshire.... I expect there will be one of their large shops in Telford or Shrewsbury.

Alpkit stuff always gets decent reviews
    https://alpkit.com/collections/mens-waterproof-jackets

Maybe something like the Fortitude - "Hillwalking waterproof cut for maximum protection"

Master
    +1 for Alpkit
    The older I get the Faster I was

See what's on sportspursuit, they've always got hundred of waterproofs, among which are reputable makes.

Paramo. Bought a cycling jacket 8 years ago and it is great.
    Great customer service too. Had a fault with a toggle and sent it back; Returned fixed and washed/proofed.
    Will be replacing my Gore Tex walking jacket with a Paramo.
    Breathable and warm, I love them.

Paramo are superb. I have a Paramo fleece and it's unbelievably good quality. Plus a balaclava and over trousers, both of which are so warm i've only needed them once when it was below -10 on Skiddaw.

If for winter/autumn use I'd recommend either the Buffalo Mountain Jacket or Belay Jacket. Not classed as 'waterproof' but you'll never get wet in them and they're drier and warmer than most 'water-proofs'! Last for donkey's years too.

https://www.needlesports.com/catalog...6-aaa000e21827
    Am Yisrael Chai

Hi all.

Thanks for the replies. I used a buffalo mountain shirt through most of the 1990s and loved it. I’m amazed at how much they’ve gone up in price but then remember that we’re 30 years on! Paramo and Buffalo are a bit more than I want to spend and I’ve opted for the Alpkit Fortitude. I’ve got an Alpkit wind shirt which is fantastic so I’m looking forward to trying it.

Happy New Year all!

Rob

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
    Hi all.

Thanks for the replies. I used a buffalo mountain shirt through most of the 1990s and loved it. I’m amazed at how much they’ve gone up in price but then remember that we’re 30 years on! Paramo and Buffalo are a bit more than I want to spend and I’ve opted for the Alpkit Fortitude. I’ve got an Alpkit wind shirt which is fantastic so I’m looking forward to trying it.

Happy New Year all!

Rob
    Great choice
    The older I get the Faster I was