Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Once you've moved oophnorth Travs you'll be able to avail yourself of both Booths and Cranstons and your supermarket nightmares will fade into the dim, hoi polloi ridden, past

On the message about exercise, I recall how we all curtailed our exercise (running, horse-riding, cycling, etc.) and also car travel in Lockdown 1.0 so as to reduce our risk of getting into an accident and so putting unnecessary pressure on the NHS. Indeed, the FRA produced some excellent guidance on moderating 'challenges', etc. That aspect of the exercise message seems absent in recent communications.
    Indeed, so what is the risk relationship between riding 7 miles (to pick a number in the news recently) in London around umpteen roundabouts duelling with HGVs, taxis,et al versus 17 or even 70 miles on a tranquil country road in Yorkshire?

(This is rhetorical to illustrate the difficulty in establishing a robust and credible basis for rules.)
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 13-01-2021 at 07:36 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Indeed, so what is the risk relationship between riding 7 miles (to pick a number in the news recently) in London around umpteen roundabouts duelling with HGVs, taxis,et al versus 17 or even 70 miles on a tranquil country road in Yorkshire?

(This is rhetorical to illustrate the difficulty in establishing a robust and credible basis for rules.)
    Wish I could find the FRA Advice from March (?) 2020, but I can't.

I don't recall that advice trying to lay down any specific 'rules', nor anything as heavy-handed as that, as self-evidently that would be ridiculous if not also impossible to calculate re any risk formula for individuals. Rather, I recall it helpfully suggested that fellrunners were each mindful of their own limitations, capabilities, and took personal responsibility by acting accordingly. Least, for example, we had to call upon the MRTs and/or ended up occupying a hospital bed or similar at a time the NHS is under extraordinary stress. The same principle might be applied to your cycling example.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Wish I could find the FRA Advice from March (?) 2020, but I can't.

I don't recall that advice trying to lay down any specific 'rules', nor anything as heavy-handed as that, as self-evidently that would be ridiculous if not also impossible to calculate re any risk formula for individuals. Rather, I recall it helpfully suggested that fellrunners were each mindful of their own limitations, capabilities, and took personal responsibility by acting accordingly. Least, for example, we had to call upon the MRTs and/or ended up occupying a hospital bed or similar at a time the NHS is under extraordinary stress. The same principle might be applied to your cycling example.
    Yes.

At the time Cycling Weekly discussed the government rules & guidelines which was more in terms of time, distance,etc which was appropriate for road riders. (Cycling Weekly does not address MTB riders).

The FRA guidelines were more in terms of risk of injury on fells and subsequently needing rescue and hospital treatment ...and the impression this would give to the public.

The infamous "hour" of exercise was only ever uttered in a live TV programme by an unthinking Michael Gove who waffled when he answered a question he was unprepared for.

The use of "area" and "local" is deliberately vague because the government know that the more specific they are then the more problems they cause for themselves with people pointing out the problems of being too specific.

I recognise "exercise" suggests going out (although I have a rowing machine!) but the spread of Covid is more because of people going out and meeting other people who have Covid than going for long walks on their own in the country side but avoiding cliff edges.

I only ever cycle from my garden gate but once people start driving to their exercise that really is a slippery slope
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 14-01-2021 at 12:33 AM.

Yes.

At the time Cycling Weekly discussed the government rules & guidelines which was more in terms of time, distance,etc which was appropriate for road riders. (Cycling Weekly does not address MTB riders).

The FRA guidelines were more in terms of risk of injury on fells and subsequently needing rescue and hospital treatment ...and the impression this would give to the public.

The infamous "hour" of exercise was only ever uttered in a live TV programme by an unthinking Michael Gove who waffled when he answered a question he was unprepared for.

The use of "area" and "local" is deliberately vague because the government know that the more specific they are then the more problems they cause for themselves with people pointing out the problems of being too specific.

I recognise "exercise" suggests going out (although I have a rowing machine!) but the spread of Covid is more because of people going out and meeting other people who have Covid than going for long walks on their own in the country side but avoiding cliff edges.

I only ever cycle from my garden gate but once people start driving to their exercise that really is a slippery slope
    An apartment with a garden gate? How the other half live!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    An apartment with a garden gate? How the other half live!
    I shall now laugh myself to sleep.

an unthinking Michael Gove who waffled when he answered a question he was unprepared for.
    Surely not!

Quote Originally Posted by Flem View Post
    Surely not!
    I specifically remember him saying it. The wording was that one hour of exercise should be enough for most people. Should and most. Not must and everyone. So never was or is a limit and flexibility to exercise as appropriate for individuals.
    Last edited by Mark G; 14-01-2021 at 09:20 AM.

The guidance in Scotland refers to staying in your local authority area for exercise. Does that really mean that people in Highland have 25,000 square kilometers in which they can roam?

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    The guidance in Scotland refers to staying in your local authority area for exercise. Does that really mean that people in Highland have 25,000 square kilometers in which they can roam?
    I was speaking to a mate in Orkney yesterday.

No cases, but they still have the full lockdown measures.

You'd think with the small amount of human traffic coming and going at the moment, they'd be able to find a way of releasing the people of Orkney, such as LFT tests for anyone arriving from the mainland.

You could take it on the ferry.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Anything is OK if it includes a bit of ethnicity.
    No it isn't

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-55680595