Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Interesting

I saw a question on facebook asking when we thought that Fell Races would return.... opinions varying from "March" to "never" at each end of the scale...

So what do people think...

Time-trial/staggered start: I'll be optimistic and say we might see these types of races in April in some parts of the UK.

Mass start/normal races: I would like to say June, but i think i'll just say "summer".

It's a tough one to call. So many variables. I'll say September 6th.

I suspect that there will be some races early summer but I think the big problem for the traditional Fell Race is that once the official go ahead is given are villages, village halls, sports clubs etc etc going to want to welcome runners from all over the country.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I was speaking to a mate in Orkney yesterday.

No cases, but they still have the full lockdown measures.

You'd think with the small amount of human traffic coming and going at the moment, they'd be able to find a way of releasing the people of Orkney, such as LFT tests for anyone arriving from the mainland.

You could take it on the ferry.
    One case reported on Orkney yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I don't understand why there is such a fuss about people exercising again. I thought we'd learned from the first lockdown that transmission of the virus outside is considerably more difficult than inside.
    It's jealousy and the need to be seen to be treating everyone the same...unless you like to pray in a church/mosque, which for some bizarre reason seems to be totally sacrosanct and largely unaffected by restrictions. I gather there are religious worshipping guidelines, but behind closed doors, with the almighty keeping scores on who's there and who's not, they'll quickly be out of the window. Nothing is worth making a punitive god angry over, we don't want to end up on a spitroast slowly rotating over coals for eternity, do we?

I don't reckon i can get away with driving up to an isolated lay-by and running alone in the dales tommorrow, so i'll be following the rules and staying local. The plan is to park in Otley and join the masses all tripping over each other on the Chevin. People tend to spread themselves out quite a bit over the trails so i'll have a very good shot at getting within a foot or so of everyone i come across.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Mr B.

I hope you got a good run in on the Chevin on Sunday. We found, even in the madness of lockdown 1 when the Chevin was about 300% busier than normal, that it was possible to be alone if you go off piste on small paths that we'd not tried before in 6 years of living there.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Heard today in a piece on radio that Wales had 3 of the 5 worst areas for covid in UK, with Rhondda Cynon Taff being worst in UK.
    They also had the worst testing, the worst vaccination programme and have had the hardest lockdown measures of the 4 nations.

It was an ex ONS statistician who lives in the Rhondda.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by DinoF View Post
    Mr B.

I hope you got a good run in on the Chevin on Sunday. We found, even in the madness of lockdown 1 when the Chevin was about 300% busier than normal, that it was possible to be alone if you go off piste on small paths that we'd not tried before in 6 years of living there.
    It's not really my cup of tea Dino!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    It's not really my cup of tea Dino!
    If you live in Otley you get used to it and go when the punters are not there. Mind we don't have to drive to get there. Ilkley moor is easily attainable from Otley, but is a bit far for a midweek run.
    Better to go North of the Wharfe, as you probably know. Love it in the Timble/Round Hill area.

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    If you live in Otley you get used to it and go when the punters are not there. Mind we don't have to drive to get there. Ilkley moor is easily attainable from Otley, but is a bit far for a midweek run.
    Better to go North of the Wharfe, as you probably know. Love it in the Timble/Round Hill area.
    through timble ings woods towards blubberhouses, and back on the old roman road to lippersley pike? that's a nice stretch.