Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 124

Thread: Interesting

  1. #101
    Moderator noel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Western Peak District
    Posts
    5,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem View Post
    I took the footpath over the M4 near my house again today. (For my friends living in the North, the M4 is one of those big roads that leads in and out of London. London is that big city in the South in which, for the past few weeks, there have been areas which have experienced some of the highest infection rates in the country.) There was perhaps slightly less traffic than there was last week - much, much less than normal but still significantly more than at the peak of the last lockdown. Crossing the bridge, an image of a conveyor belt jumped into my head. (On a positive note, more people I met seemed to be taking social distancing very seriously. Although that might have been because I was smiling at everyone as we approached each other.)

    The situation has been compared to a race between the virus and the vaccine. That analogy could perhaps usefully be extended a little. The virus had planned to use a quad bike but has been banned from doing so by the authorities. However, it has been sponsored by Nike and has been provided with a pair of Vaporflys[*], a Sat-Nav enabled navigation device with 'breadcrumb' functionality, a few pills in a bottle with 'Lance Armstrong Specials' on the label, and a team of helpers to supply a variety of food and drink at regular intervals throughout the race. The vaccine, on the other hand, has ... well, you can make up the rest of the joke yourselves, depending on your individual views.
    [*] I wasn't sure which shoes to use for this humorous (?) bit of surrealism. I considered asking the question on Facebook but thought that might telegraph the joke and hence make it even less funny. So, feel free to insert your own choice of shoes to replace my reference to Vaporflys. You can even use deep sea diving boots if you're of the persuasion that the seriousness of the situation has been exaggerated - I'm a very inclusive and woke sort of person, so I've just given you the flexible framework for a joke, which you can tailor to your own individual taste.

    PS. If anyone thinks I'm suggesting that wearing Vaporflys would be beneficial for a fell race, you're over-analysing my humour. (Yes, it is humour.)
    This is how all jokes should be delivered. Workshop style.

  2. #102
    Master Mossdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Teesdale
    Posts
    1,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post

    But been in the supermarket a couple of times since new year and it is now one place i'm pretty hesitant to go to unless a complete necessity...
    Once you've moved oophnorth Travs you'll be able to avail yourself of both Booths and Cranstons and your supermarket nightmares will fade into the dim, hoi polloi ridden, past

    On the message about exercise, I recall how we all curtailed our exercise (running, horse-riding, cycling, etc.) and also car travel in Lockdown 1.0 so as to reduce our risk of getting into an accident and so putting unnecessary pressure on the NHS. Indeed, the FRA produced some excellent guidance on moderating 'challenges', etc. That aspect of the exercise message seems absent in recent communications.
    Eat more cake because life is shorter than you thi...

  3. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Tesco's every day!

    Is there a checkout girl with "a come to bed smile" drawing you into the store, Graham?
    There was but I told her, "if you don't come with a Porsche 928 love, forget it!"
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Once you've moved oophnorth Travs you'll be able to avail yourself of both Booths and Cranstons and your supermarket nightmares will fade into the dim, hoi polloi ridden, past

    On the message about exercise, I recall how we all curtailed our exercise (running, horse-riding, cycling, etc.) and also car travel in Lockdown 1.0 so as to reduce our risk of getting into an accident and so putting unnecessary pressure on the NHS. Indeed, the FRA produced some excellent guidance on moderating 'challenges', etc. That aspect of the exercise message seems absent in recent communications.
    Indeed, so what is the risk relationship between riding 7 miles (to pick a number in the news recently) in London around umpteen roundabouts duelling with HGVs, taxis,et al versus 17 or even 70 miles on a tranquil country road in Yorkshire?

    (This is rhetorical to illustrate the difficulty in establishing a robust and credible basis for rules.)
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 13-01-2021 at 07:36 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  5. #105
    Master Mossdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Teesdale
    Posts
    1,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Indeed, so what is the risk relationship between riding 7 miles (to pick a number in the news recently) in London around umpteen roundabouts duelling with HGVs, taxis,et al versus 17 or even 70 miles on a tranquil country road in Yorkshire?

    (This is rhetorical to illustrate the difficulty in establishing a robust and credible basis for rules.)
    Wish I could find the FRA Advice from March (?) 2020, but I can't.

    I don't recall that advice trying to lay down any specific 'rules', nor anything as heavy-handed as that, as self-evidently that would be ridiculous if not also impossible to calculate re any risk formula for individuals. Rather, I recall it helpfully suggested that fellrunners were each mindful of their own limitations, capabilities, and took personal responsibility by acting accordingly. Least, for example, we had to call upon the MRTs and/or ended up occupying a hospital bed or similar at a time the NHS is under extraordinary stress. The same principle might be applied to your cycling example.
    Eat more cake because life is shorter than you thi...

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Wish I could find the FRA Advice from March (?) 2020, but I can't.

    I don't recall that advice trying to lay down any specific 'rules', nor anything as heavy-handed as that, as self-evidently that would be ridiculous if not also impossible to calculate re any risk formula for individuals. Rather, I recall it helpfully suggested that fellrunners were each mindful of their own limitations, capabilities, and took personal responsibility by acting accordingly. Least, for example, we had to call upon the MRTs and/or ended up occupying a hospital bed or similar at a time the NHS is under extraordinary stress. The same principle might be applied to your cycling example.
    Yes.

    At the time Cycling Weekly discussed the government rules & guidelines which was more in terms of time, distance,etc which was appropriate for road riders. (Cycling Weekly does not address MTB riders).

    The FRA guidelines were more in terms of risk of injury on fells and subsequently needing rescue and hospital treatment ...and the impression this would give to the public.

    The infamous "hour" of exercise was only ever uttered in a live TV programme by an unthinking Michael Gove who waffled when he answered a question he was unprepared for.

    The use of "area" and "local" is deliberately vague because the government know that the more specific they are then the more problems they cause for themselves with people pointing out the problems of being too specific.

    I recognise "exercise" suggests going out (although I have a rowing machine!) but the spread of Covid is more because of people going out and meeting other people who have Covid than going for long walks on their own in the country side but avoiding cliff edges.

    I only ever cycle from my garden gate but once people start driving to their exercise that really is a slippery slope
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 14-01-2021 at 12:33 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  7. #107
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Over Haddon
    Posts
    2,135
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Yes.

    At the time Cycling Weekly discussed the government rules & guidelines which was more in terms of time, distance,etc which was appropriate for road riders. (Cycling Weekly does not address MTB riders).

    The FRA guidelines were more in terms of risk of injury on fells and subsequently needing rescue and hospital treatment ...and the impression this would give to the public.

    The infamous "hour" of exercise was only ever uttered in a live TV programme by an unthinking Michael Gove who waffled when he answered a question he was unprepared for.

    The use of "area" and "local" is deliberately vague because the government know that the more specific they are then the more problems they cause for themselves with people pointing out the problems of being too specific.

    I recognise "exercise" suggests going out (although I have a rowing machine!) but the spread of Covid is more because of people going out and meeting other people who have Covid than going for long walks on their own in the country side but avoiding cliff edges.

    I only ever cycle from my garden gate but once people start driving to their exercise that really is a slippery slope
    An apartment with a garden gate? How the other half live!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    An apartment with a garden gate? How the other half live!
    I shall now laugh myself to sleep.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  9. #109
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    200
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    an unthinking Michael Gove who waffled when he answered a question he was unprepared for.
    Surely not!

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem View Post
    Surely not!
    I specifically remember him saying it. The wording was that one hour of exercise should be enough for most people. Should and most. Not must and everyone. So never was or is a limit and flexibility to exercise as appropriate for individuals.
    Last edited by Mark G; 14-01-2021 at 09:20 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •