Thread: Allotment irrigation drip

Allotment irrigation drip

Last spring I build raised beds at the back end of the garden. I was not very hopeful but the tomatoes harvest turned out super successful, 100+ jars in my first year, plus tons of salads, super proud
    One of the "prices" I had to pay for it was the huge amount of time I spent watering. Not that it wasn't pleasant, but hey time is always tight.... therefore this year I'd like to install some sort of drip irrigation, so I only open the tap and close it sometime later and meanwhile water takes care of itself....

Question: how long max can the drip irrigation be? 10m? 20m? 50m? 100m? I understand this is dictated by the pressure (and therefore it could even be improved by adding a pump, but hey let's keep it basic). No idea what water pressure I have at the tap....
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    Last spring I build raised beds at the back end of the garden. I was not very hopeful but the tomatoes harvest turned out super successful, 100+ jars in my first year, plus tons of salads, super proud
    One of the "prices" I had to pay for it was the huge amount of time I spent watering. Not that it wasn't pleasant, but hey time is always tight.... therefore this year I'd like to install some sort of drip irrigation, so I only open the tap and close it sometime later and meanwhile water takes care of itself....

Question: how long max can the drip irrigation be? 10m? 20m? 50m? 100m? I understand this is dictated by the pressure (and therefore it could even be improved by adding a pump, but hey let's keep it basic). No idea what water pressure I have at the tap....
    Thanks,
    I don't know how much space you have but the cheapest way of providing a drip irrigation is to have a tank raised off the ground, next to your beds, and let gravity do the work. A large tank, if not directly connected to your supply, might only need to be filled once a day at your convenience ie when you get home from work.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 11-01-2021 at 10:52 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

We have a similar system in our greenhouse with thin tubing. It runs off a small tank (about 15 litres), and has a battery operated timer on it. Of course you could you have a tap like you suggest - ours was more to water things while we were on holiday.

Here we go physics calculation....
    Can one connect the drip irrigation system, or soaker hose, to a rain water tank?
    Water height of 1m gives pressure of 10 kPa, so 1.4 psi (a "normal" tap pressure is 40-60 psi). Drip irrigation supposedly require a minimum pressure of 10psi.

It seems gravity system have too low pressure for the the drip irrigation or soaker hose.
    Anyone has experience to share?
    Thanks