Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Devolution nonsense.

Devolution nonsense.

I've never been a fan of devolution but this pandemic has underscored what a nonsense it is. The different restrictions programme was bad enough but the vaccination mess is the last straw. Whilst the press is trumpeting that vaccinations for the over 70s can now begin (the over 80s in England having now been done), my mother who is 87 and lives in North Wales has heard nothing about getting a jab. Its a damned poor show. The Welsh politicians should hang their heads in shame. I thought we were in the UNITED kingdom!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

You are spot on Wheeze.

My in-laws who live near Rotherham had their SECOND jab on the 5th January.

I have an uncle and aunt, both in their eighties, in Mid Wales who have not heard a thing.

And I'm not allowed to go "home"
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

We had the standard letter through a couple of days back, which basically said we would be vaccinated and in this order. Otherwise sit and wait!
    Wales is definitely dragging it's feet with the program, thought weeks ago the politicians were claiming we were all up and ready to go?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I've never been a fan of devolution in the way Blair did it.
    The model they had gave a 3 tier system for the Celtic nations and nothing for England. Their plan for England was to divvy us up in to areas and when the North East devolution referendum was defeated by 78% to 22% they scrapped the English dog's breakfast.

I doubt you can roll it back, but if we were to have a lasting structure it would be for the 4 home nations to all have equally devolved powers and for MPs to sit in both the UK Parliament and the Devolved assemblies, that could sit at alternate times.

But my gut feeling is against it.

I also dislike the Police Commissioner elections, which are largely a nice little earner for the party faithful, as are these metro mayors.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    I've never been a fan of devolution but this pandemic has underscored what a nonsense it is. The different restrictions programme was bad enough but the vaccination mess is the last straw. Whilst the press is trumpeting that vaccinations for the over 70s can now begin (the over 80s in England having now been done), my mother who is 87 and lives in North Wales has heard nothing about getting a jab. Its a damned poor show. The Welsh politicians should hang their heads in shame. I thought we were in the UNITED kingdom!
    Clearly Wiltshire is also on the devolution list! My 86 year old mother, who lives in the county, hasn't heard from anyone about a CV vaccine jab, despite having a troop of carers, etc. visiting her home every day. She's hesitant about phoning her GP to inquire as she'd heard on TV that GP surgeries are swamped by calls, and everyone should wait to be called.

I wonder what the real percent of over 80 year olds who haven't had a jab yet is - across the whole UK.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Ah...headline can be misleading. Apparently:

"Nadhim Zahawi, the minister responsible for the vaccine rollout, defended the decision to offer Covid jabs to the over-70s and clinically vulnerable.

He told BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Monday that the over-80s "need not worry" if they hadn't yet been invited for a jab.

He said as it was only areas where the majority of the over-80s had been vaccinated that people aged 70 and over were being invited for jabs. He added that by today, 50% of care home residents should have been vaccinated."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55698132

Perhaps less of a devolution issue but more to do with local clusters?
    Am Yisrael Chai

Sorry to hear that Mossdog. Sounds like the press muddying the waters as usual Maybe the tory press are feeding a feel good line? Whats the Grauniad saying about it?
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Sorry to hear that Mossdog. Sounds like the press muddying the waters as usual Maybe the tory press are feeding a feel good line? Whats the Grauniad saying about it?
    Thanks Wheeze. These days I rarely visit the Grauniad website as, like Channel 4 News, it's reporting of 'news' and expressions of opinion frequently causes my blood-pressure to spike.

The Westmorland Gazette https://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/ or similar offer a much healthier choice.
    Am Yisrael Chai

This from the BBC:

Wales' First Minister Mark Drakeford has defended the pace of the vaccine roll-out after facing criticism that it has been too slow.

Just over 88,000 people have received their first dose in Wales, about 2.6% of the total population - compared to 5.8% across the whole UK.

Mr Drakeford told BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Monday that supplies of the Pfizer vaccine had to last until February and were being deployed at a steady rate.

"There will be no point, and certainly it will be logistically very damaging, to try to use all of that in the first week and then to have all our vaccinators standing around with nothing to do for another month," he said.

He said that supply was still the limiting factor and that the differences between parts of the UK were "very marginal".

Former Welsh Secretary Stephen Crabb said Mr Drakeford's comments were "astonishing" and called it a "go-slow" vaccine roll-out.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    This from the BBC:
    That seems a very odd explanation from Drakeford. They are spacing out the vaccinations until they receive their next delivery. Surely the best thing to do would be vaccinate as quickly as possible. Ok they might run out but at least the recipients would be acquiring some immunity as soon as possible. Spreading them out needlessly risks people getting the virus when they could have been vaccinated.