Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Devolution nonsense.

I had just read that on the Wales news and it rather left me scratching my head in puzzlement. Thought if they have the vaccine they would whack it in as quick as possible, once used they could pressure for more doses.
    Not sure who the vaccinators are, but I'm pretty sure they could find something else for them to do if they run out of vaccine, rather than "sit around doing nothing".
    But what do I know, leave it to the politicians.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I guess it depends what might be required to speed up delivery in terms of recruiting extra qualified people to administer the vaccine and equip vaccinations centres etc.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Its just nonsense and p!ss poor organisation. There's absolutely no excuse for deliberately slowing the rate of vaccination!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I had just read that on the Wales news and it rather left me scratching my head in puzzlement. Thought if they have the vaccine they would whack it in as quick as possible, once used they could pressure for more doses.
    Not sure who the vaccinators are, but I'm pretty sure they could find something else for them to do if they run out of vaccine, rather than "sit around doing nothing".
    But what do I know, leave it to the politicians.
    So on this basis if one had found oneself, say, facing down Bill the Kid in a gun fight the best advice is not to fire one's bullets too quickly so as to leave some for the next gunfight?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    So on this basis if one had found oneself, say, facing down Bill the Kid in a gun fight the best advice is not to fire one's bullets too quickly so as to leave some for the next gunfight?
    That does seem to be the reasoning, as if one did use all the bullets and kill young Billy too quickly, then there would be no work for the deputies to do. Bored deputies are dangerous deputies
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Might it be that they haven't actually employed enough people yet (a decision informed by the knowledge of how much vaccine they have and when they get the next batch). So the people "sitting around" are hypothetical.

That might make sense - in a kind of messed-up way if you were trying to cover your back as a politician.

I don’t think roll out speed of vaccinations for covid will have a great deal to do with devolution to be honest. It’s probably more to do with the Pfizer vaccination being the most prominent at the minute and that it’s the one that causes the most logistical difficulties. Therefor its easier to roll out in big conurbations and a bit more difficult in big areas of lower population. And Wales and Scotland both have a lot of the latter and proportionately less of the former compared to England.

Wales and Scotland have both vaccinated c 4.8% of the population so far and England and Northern Ireland seem to be doing better with c 6.2% and 6.6% vaccinated respectively. I’m sure that there will be big regional variations within those figures though - I doubt we here in the Yorkshire Dales are being vaccinated at the same speed as London for instance.

All that devolution has done is to separate and isolate regional variations between the countries

(That said, it was a twattish statement from that welsh minister)

It's simple, the Welsh First Minister said they were deliberately limiting the roll out of the vaccine.

That is stupidity of the highest order.

He should go; he's clearly inept.

If as some are suggesting it was to cover up for other issues, then he's a bare faced liar on the most critical issue of the day.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    It's simple, the Welsh First Minister said they were deliberately limiting the roll out of the vaccine.

That is stupidity of the highest order.

He should go; he's clearly inept.

If as some are suggesting it was to cover up for other issues, then he's a bare faced liar on the most critical issue of the day.

Mark Drakeford is probably a decent enough bloke for all I know (although an academic career lecturing in Social Administration?) and he's probably doing his very best. However, whenever I hear his podium announcements about the pandemic there's just something a little nettling and disquieting about his manner. I have this faint suspicion,completely unfounded, that perhaps. perversely, he's enjoying his moment of limelight just a little too much. I don't get the same impression from Boris, although I'm no BJ fan.

Probably just my irrational prejudices about people who slouch at podiums in public - but hey, I've said it now.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    I don’t think roll out speed of vaccinations for covid will have a great deal to do with devolution to be honest. It’s probably more to do with the Pfizer vaccination being the most prominent at the minute and that it’s the one that causes the most logistical difficulties. Therefor its easier to roll out in big conurbations and a bit more difficult in big areas of lower population. And Wales and Scotland both have a lot of the latter and proportionately less of the former compared to England.

Wales and Scotland have both vaccinated c 4.8% of the population so far and England and Northern Ireland seem to be doing better with c 6.2% and 6.6% vaccinated respectively. I’m sure that there will be big regional variations within those figures though - I doubt we here in the Yorkshire Dales are being vaccinated at the same speed as London for instance.

All that devolution has done is to separate and isolate regional variations between the countries

(That said, it was a twattish statement from that welsh minister)
    Is the Pfizer vaccine still the most prominent of the vaccines? I'm not so sure. The huge increases in vaccinations generally in the last week would suggest that it is the logistically much easier to distribute Oxford/Astra-Zeneca vaccine that is now coming to the fore.

When I last looked a few days ago the figures for England showed that the North East and Yorkshire had vaccinated the most, while London was near the bottom.