Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Utmb 2016

Utmb 2016

Now that enrolment is complete, I have been trying to do some probability calculations of the chances of getting in - does anyone know if there is a designated number of places per nationality/country? As there is roughly 400 UK based runners enrolled I am just trying to work out the odds!
    Al McKeown

OK, so who got in then and are you looking forward to it? Looks like you got in Al? Well done. I managed to on first attempt, which is a first. Two firsts?

TDS for myself and Mrs P.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Yes I got in and am looking forward to it (naïve perhaps)! I know this has been mentioned before but I went to see my doctor recently to inquire about getting the medical form signed off, but they were having none of it and are looking for at least £100....What insurance company do people use?
    Al McKeown

Banned
    No, I'm not in this time.

Quote Originally Posted by irish View Post
    but I went to see my doctor recently to inquire about getting the medical form signed off, but they were having none of it and are looking for at least £100....What insurance company do people use?
    £100 sounds over the top, but I guess it depends what the GP plans to do by way of assessment.

I've been getting these certs out of my GP practice for 10 years at least. My old GP, now retired, did them for nothing. A younger chap has charged me on the odd occasion but often forgets.....

Generally, I'm asked a variety of questions bout my health, the GPO checks my chest function and blood pressure and every few years I go off for another ECG.

In terms of insurance, I carry an annual policy with these people which covers me for multiple trips abroad to run and climb 4,000 metre peaks:

https://www.dogtag.com/

There are plenty of other options but I've had this policy for a while, I can adjust it when needed (to cover a trip to China for instance) and while they might not be the cheapest, I can always have a chat at renewal time if I feel the premium is too high.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Yes, doctors can and do charge for signing a bit of paper which is provided for them. They must have very expensive ink in their pens. I've never had a medical questioning or examination before a signing but I've never been fleeced for as much as £100. Racket.

For insurance I use Snowcard.

Yes I got in and am looking forward to it (naïve perhaps)! I know this has been mentioned before but I went to see my doctor recently to inquire about getting the medical form signed off, but they were having none of it and are looking for at least £100....What insurance company do people use?
    £100 is pretty outrageous, for the last two years my GP has happily signed my medical certificate for nothing more than a smile.

As far as insurance is concerned, I very foolishly didn't take any out for the UTMB in 2014, but for the CCC last year went with SportsCover Direct. It cost £39 to cover the event, but if you are planning on doing more than one event like this in 2016 I expect it would make more sense to take out an annual policy such as the one Morgan describes.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated. I have decided to write to one of the partners at the GP practice who is into triathlons so we will see! Last question (for now) who do you use for airport transfers from geneva and was is the approx cost? Thanks again

Thanks for the advice guys much appreciated. I have decided to write to one of the partners at the GP practice who is into triathlons so we will see! Last question (for now) who do you use for airport transfers from geneva and was is the approx cost? Thanks again
    I have used Mountain Drop Offs for the past two years, very reliable. As I recall, it costs about 30 quid each way from Geneva to Chamonix. It's worth hanging on a bit before booking anything, I did it early last year and then regretted it as they announced a discount for anyone competing in the UTMB.

http://www.mountaindropoffs.com/
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners