Thread: Pembrokeshire Murders

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Pembrokeshire Murders

There's been a lot of publicity recently about the TV series on the Pembrokeshire Murders; which has reminded me of my small part in the story . . . .

In July 1989 I had a cycling (and fell running) holiday in North Wales. I had heard on the news about the double murder before I started my holiday, but I hadn't heard that there were reports that a suspect was going around Wales on a bicycle. Anyway, after visiting Pistyll Rhaeadr in the Berwyn Mountains (a long way from Pembrokeshire!) one afternoon, I stopped at a cafe just down the valley for tea and cake. There's a bridleway that goes over a pass from there to Llangynog, and that was my chosen route after the cafe stop; I was continuing the long tradition of off-road cycling in the Berwyn Mountains.

The first part of the bridleway is a rough track that zigzags up the side of the valley. As I was plodding up the zag, I noticed a police car coming slowly up the zig below me. After a few minutes it dawned on me that the only possible reason they could be driving up the track was to speak to me. So I waited for them, and when they reached me, all was explained.

I haven't watched the TV series about the murders, and I doubt whether it featured the cafe proprietor in the Berwyns who reported a suspicious cyclist to the police.
    Last edited by anthonykay; 20-01-2021 at 10:46 PM.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I haven't watched the TV series about the murders, and I doubt whether it featured the cafe proprietor in the Berwyns who reported a suspicious cyclist to the police.
    I have and it didn't Anthony.

Were you by any chance sporting a perm at the time which might have been the reason for aroused suspicions?

BTW, the 3 parter was worth a watch and brought into focus how out of their depth a rural police force was at the time but also the great strides that have been made in DNA and forensics in the last 30 years.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

We enjoyed the series, can't deny that looking for places we recognise is always fun - been there, been there!
    Remember reading about the murders when they happened, sure the IRA were suspects for the coastal path one, the walking couple were thought to have stumbled on some gun running or something. Guess the original investigation were clutching for straws by then.
    Sorry you didn't get a mention Anthony, but maybe for the best you weren't a chief suspect.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.