Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Baker's Cyst

  1. #1
    Master Mossdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Teesdale
    Posts
    1,936

    Baker's Cyst

    I've had a small egg sized swelling behind my right knee for about 2 months now. While I had a little knee stiffness, it was my partner who first noticed it as I was about to head out, wearing shorts, for another run.

    I've self-diagnosed this as a 'baker's cyst. It's not painful, and I think the knee stiffness (not really pain) has subsided over the last couple of weeks, but the cyst (if that's what it is) is still there. Range of knee motion is fine - it bends well and I've not issues while running. Post run it does stiffen further and swell a bit more.

    I've not been to my GP or seen a phsyio yet, as it's not painful and due to present lockdown circumstances.

    Anyone else had this? How did you manage (treat) it?

    Honestly, I think I did this on the rower, rather than running, pushing too hard.

    Online advice gives some exercises to do and stresses continued motion (which is a no-brainer). I've limited my runs to just 5 to 6 miles, 6 days a week, all off road, but with climbing included, and I take it really easy on the rower for now.
    Eat more cake because life is shorter than you thi...

  2. #2
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ambleside
    Posts
    3,839
    If your self diagnosis is correct, the best treatment is to ignore it. Sometimes they treat themselves by "popping" into the tissues at the back of the calf. Good luck with it.

  3. #3
    Master Mossdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Teesdale
    Posts
    1,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    If your self diagnosis is correct, the best treatment is to ignore it. Sometimes they treat themselves by "popping" into the tissues at the back of the calf. Good luck with it.

    Thanks Mike.
    Eat more cake because life is shorter than you thi...

  4. #4
    Moderator noel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Mountains of Cheshire
    Posts
    5,872
    I hope it sorts itself. I have no experience here, but am amused that your "limited" weekly mileage is about the same as what I'm hoping to work up to in the next month.

  5. #5
    Master Mossdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Teesdale
    Posts
    1,936
    Just an update. So I went to my local physio in March, who said she didn't think it was a Baker's Cyst and referred me to the GP. GP referred me for an MRI, the results of which confirmed it was a Baker's (phew!). Recommendation was to take ibuprofen, if in pain - I'm not, just mild 'sensation' of the lump being present.

    So, for the last few weeks I've abandoned fellrunning to see if the cyst got smaller or better still disappeared. Usual exercise replaced with no (or comparatively little) weight bearing indoor rowing, 15K for 5 days each week, to feed my physical activity addiction (according to my partner!) and two days weekly fell walks, clocking up - slowly - ascent (2,550 - 3500) and mileage (14 to 18 miles) in the Hows and Lakes. Result: No change. Not a sausage

    I now wonder if I should just 'go-for-it' and see if the cyst bursts, but potentially risk being in a more painfully situation, or.... admit defeat and erm take up something more sedate like, say, cycling (sorry - major tease - no offence meant)! Seriously though, I've actually got to the point of thinking about dusting off and pumping up the tyres on my 1980s Peugeot Savoie tourer. That it should come to this...weep
    Last edited by Mossdog; 16-07-2021 at 03:35 PM.
    Eat more cake because life is shorter than you thi...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Just an update. So I went to my local physio in March, who said she didn't think it was a Baker's Cyst and referred me to the GP. GP referred me for an MRI, the results of which confirmed it was a Baker's (phew!). Recommendation was to take ibuprofen, if in pain - I'm not, just mild 'sensation' of the lump being present.

    So, for the last few weeks I've abandoned fellrunning to see if the cyst got smaller or better still disappeared. Usual exercise replaced with no (or comparatively little) weight bearing indoor rowing, 15K for 5 days each week, to feed my physical activity addiction (according to my partner!) and two days weekly fell walks, clocking up - slowly - ascent (2,550 - 3500) and mileage (14 to 18 miles) in the Hows and Lakes. Result: No change. Not a sausage

    I now wonder if I should just 'go-for-it' and see if the cyst bursts, but potentially risk being in a more painfully situation, or.... admit defeat and erm take up something more sedate like, say, cycling (sorry - major tease - no offence meant)! Seriously though, I've actually got to the point of thinking about dusting off and pumping up the tyres on my 1980s Peugeot Savoie tourer. That it should come to this...weep
    I am not a great believer in medical advice being proferred on the Forum from those who are not medically trained and my knees are not your knees; but based on having had half a dozen Baker's Cysts:

    - I think a cyst is telling you your knee is being aggravated and it will disappear when that ceases to be the case

    - I don't think the exercise you report is helping achieve that outcome

    - when I had my little difficulties I got my GP to drain off the excess fluid, inject "cortisone" (not the correct term) to settle things down and then having got back to "normality", I started exercising again

    - I did have one conversation about if the cyst burst which included making sure the hospital didn't misdiagnose the problem and treat me for something really dire, but my feeling was that challenging the cyst to burst is not the way to go.

    All sensible fell runners end up cycling - the only question is how quickly they come to their senses.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  7. #7
    Master Mossdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Teesdale
    Posts
    1,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    I am not a great believer in medical advice being proferred on the Forum from those who are not medically trained and my knees are not your knees; but based on having had half a dozen Baker's Cysts:

    - I think a cyst is telling you your knee is being aggravated and it will disappear when that ceases to be the case

    - I don't think the exercise you report is helping achieve that outcome

    - when I had my little difficulties I got my GP to drain off the excess fluid, inject "cortisone" (not the correct term) to settle things down and then having got back to "normality", I started exercising again

    - I did have one conversation about if the cyst burst which included making sure the hospital didn't misdiagnose the problem and treat me for something really dire, but my feeling was that challenging the cyst to burst is not the way to go.

    All sensible fell runners end up cycling - the only question is how quickly they come to their senses.
    Thanks Graham. I'll get on Wiggle and open an account straight away

    Weirdly, the Baker's Knee has always been my 'good' knee and I've never (consciously) experienced any pain, stiffness or swelling there at all. 'Nothing to see here', kind of thing, although obviously the appearance of the cyst says otherwise. The MRI scan just diagnosed the cyst, and there was no mention of anything untoward regarding the knee. The MRI markers (codliver oil capsules taped to my knee to direct the scan!), included the knee area generally. I'd of thought they, the medics, would have said if they spotted an issue. Hummm...maybe I've too much faith in the medics flagging something up if they were only asked to investigate 'the lump'.

    In contrast the left knee has given me gyp for the past few years, but that's all down to equestrian pursuits rather than fell running. Hey ho, tally-ho!
    Eat more cake because life is shorter than you thi...

  8. #8
    Master
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ambleside
    Posts
    3,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Just an update. So I went to my local physio in March, who said she didn't think it was a Baker's Cyst and referred me to the GP. GP referred me for an MRI, the results of which confirmed it was a Baker's (phew!). Recommendation was to take ibuprofen, if in pain - I'm not, just mild 'sensation' of the lump being present.

    So, for the last few weeks I've abandoned fellrunning to see if the cyst got smaller or better still disappeared. Usual exercise replaced with no (or comparatively little) weight bearing indoor rowing, 15K for 5 days each week, to feed my physical activity addiction (according to my partner!) and two days weekly fell walks, clocking up - slowly - ascent (2,550 - 3500) and mileage (14 to 18 miles) in the Hows and Lakes. Result: No change. Not a sausage

    I now wonder if I should just 'go-for-it' and see if the cyst bursts, but potentially risk being in a more painfully situation, or.... admit defeat and erm take up something more sedate like, say, cycling (sorry - major tease - no offence meant)! Seriously though, I've actually got to the point of thinking about dusting off and pumping up the tyres on my 1980s Peugeot Savoie tourer. That it should come to this...weep
    Interesting. Try to ignore it!

  9. #9
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Posts
    1,832
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    All sensible fell runners end up cycling - the only question is how quickly they come to their senses.
    I cycle to fell races; does that make me sensible?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •