Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jelly babies

Jelly babies

I'm looking for food recommendations for my long runs. I'm building up my long runs to 15miles+ but it's all on the flats (lockdown)so what and when should I eat. So far I've been scoffing jelly babies every 40minutes. In MM I'd eat snack bars and nuts but this doesn't like a good idea. What do other people consume when on the roads/flat trails?

Jam sandwich.
    Measure the whole Surface of the Earth with our own feet. Don Quixote

To be honest i'd not be eating anything on training runs of that distance. It's only a couple of hours on the flat at a steady pace.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    To be honest i'd not be eating anything on training runs of that distance. It's only a couple of hours on the flat at a steady pace.
    For those of us who do need to take food on a two-hour run (although mine are never on the flat) . . . I take a flapjack bar.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    I don't take food on 3-4 hour runs - the Fairfield Horseshoe for example - unless it's a race and the rules require it. Then I take a Nak'd bar of one variety or another - I find them palatable and they are not full of rubbish.

Those aldi bars - cashew and date (or similar). The main thing is it's palatable. A gel is handy but only if you've dipped too far to give an energy boost.

Agree Noel. I like the Aldi bars too. My favourite is the Hazelnut and Cacao Paleo Bar. Very tasty, easy to chew and digest.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I don't take food on 3-4 hour runs - the Fairfield Horseshoe for example - unless it's a race and the rules require it. Then I take a Nak'd bar of one variety or another - I find them palatable and they are not full of rubbish.
    Yeah, Nakd bars are good. All natural ingredients and go down easily. I like nutty stuff for proper long runs, but need to be going pretty slowly to digest them comfortably. Gels are good for an instant hit and/or when you're working pretty hard and chewing is difficult. Some are pretty rank. I like the OTE ones best.
    Geoff Clarke

I don't normally eat anything on runs of 2hrs or less but when I'm going for longer I start eating early - a couple of jelly babies after 30 minutes then a home made energy ball on the hour. Repeat.
    My energy balls are mostly date and nuts but they are easy to make and there are lots of options. If I expect to be out for over about 4-5 hours I'll also take an energy bar of some kind (Home Bargains usually have a variety and they often drop the price on some of them) and maybe a small flask of coffee. Then I'll have a proper 5 minute stop for a brew after about half way. I've usually also got a bit extra - maybe another energy bar, in case I decide to stay out longer, and perhaps a gel as a last resort if I really run out of steam.
    On shorter runs I still carry a few jelly babies just in case.

So my question to those who are saying they generally don't eat. My limited understanding of sport science says that the body starts to run out of glycogen stores after 90ish minutes. WHy wouldn't you keep this topped up? What benefit is there to not eating?