Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain marathon sleep bag

Mountain marathon sleep bag

I’m bored and internet shopping. I’d like a new mm bag for when we can go out to play. I currently have a down bag rated to 3degrees and weighing 670g. I’d like to go closer to the 400g mark but like to stay warm. Any suggestions?

PHD Designs - UK made, couldn't be more helpful and the best you can buy! : https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/

Have you considered a quilt? I carry Enlightened Equipment (Enigma Elite) and they're fantastic. Lighter and more versatile than a traditional sleeping bag.
    A quilt is just as warm as a sleeping bag, since ones body weight compresses the insulation underneath you when sleeping, rendering it useless. A quilt does away with that bottom insulation (use your sleeping pad instead.) and then ya don't have to carry the extra weight.

Do quilts pass kit check on all MMs though? I had this discussion on a different channel (ukc) and there was some doubt that they would always pass.

What sleeping mat do you use?

Does anyone know if the mountain raid ones from OMM are any good? I have a mountain raid jacket which I quite like and tends to keep me warm whenever I need to use it.

Yep I have a mountain raid and it's good. It slides about a bit but it's always kept me warm enough (on the elite MM scale at least - so with all other clothing on!)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Yep I have a mountain raid and it's good. It slides about a bit but it's always kept me warm enough (on the elite MM scale at least - so with all other clothing on!)
    Is that the 100 ba-ba?

I have an older version of the mountain raid 100 and it is too cold for me on the OMM, even with all my kit on. Happy to use it on other mountain marathons though.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

I'm thinking of parting with some dosh and getting one these https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...ing-bag-p11275

But might wait to see if any MM's actually happen this year first!

yes the 100. Maybe 4/5 years old?
    TBF being a bit cold overnight is part of my expectations on the OMM. Though I recall being fine in it at the cold Black Mountains 2018 OMM (I mean I managed to take 5 minutes out of Jonathon Albon in the first couple of hours on day 2. OK he then dropped the hammer and took 25mins+ out of us on the rest of the day, but I felt good to start so the sleep can't have been too bad!)
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    good to know, although i think I'd probably go for the 160 one. I would rather be a little warmer than a little lighter!

I haven't done any MM's yet but would really love to once things get back to normality, I have done a small handful of mini mountain marathons and always enjoy them.