Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: A Cautionary reminder

Most of the places I run nowadays I know pretty well, very well or like the back of my hand anyway but, either way, I’d always take my mobile.

I’m fortunate enough to have the viewranger app on my phone loaded with all of the uk ordinance survey mapping coverage which, providing the phone is charged, works on gps so it isn’t mobile signal dependent. And having access to you’re exact position marked on a mini OS map of wherever you are is an extremely useful thing to have on tap. It can tell me my grid reference, with the option to set it to 6, 8 or 10 digits, or alternatively my position in latitude and longitude and other mapping position metrics that I don’t understand at all but make me feel smug for having anyway

My running vest always has a real compass in one of the pockets and my watch, a Garmin fenix 5, also has a return to start function, giving me a breadcrumb trail to follow back if I ever needed to (never needed yet). The Fenix 5 also has a compass. As does the view ranger app and my mobile phone itself.

My phone also has an additional battery capacity storage in its case so a charged battery is always very likely.

I have the ‘find my friends’ app set up with Hester so she can find out where I am (if there is a mobile signal), as too, not quite so handily, can my daughter in Abu Dhabi and my other daughter in Australia

I can also take pictures on my mobile too, probably it’s most useful function and the best reason of all to carry it. That and important looking up wildlife identification and other things and places we happen upon on the internet

Why wouldn’t you take a mobile with access to all that?
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 16-02-2021 at 02:02 PM.

I take a mobile on all training runs. Also similar to Fellbeast, have a hand-held GPS with entire UK OS mapping on. Always carry a compass too, even if not always taking a paper map with me...

Why wouldn’t you take a mobile with access to all that?[/QUOTE]

I run in the hills to get away from all that!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I don't carry a mobile phone - I don't have one - just my GPS watch.
    Same here Mike. Well that's not quite true, I have an old non-smart phone buried in the bowels of my car in case I breakdown/happen upon emergencies as I drive in mainly rural areas (where have all the phone boxes gone ). I try to remember to check on the battery every few months. It's had £20 credit for years.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I run in the hills to get away from all that![/QUOTE]

And we've little chance of suffering from 'phantom vibration syndrome' (cue the Frankie Howerd Ohhh,,err...missues)

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a6804631.html
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Same here Mike. Well that's not quite true, I have an old non-smart phone buried in the bowels of my car in case I breakdown/happen upon emergencies as I drive in mainly rural areas (where have all the phone boxes gone ). I try to remember to check on the battery every few months. It's had £20 credit for years.
    Have you checked you can still make calls? Some mobile networks re-allocate the number if the no calls or credit top-up for a period (3 - 12 months).
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

"we run in the hills to get away from all that..."

indeed... but just because you have a phone with you, it doesn't mean you have to answer it, check notifications, etc.

When i'm on the fells and have a phone i will never bother to get it out unless it's to take a photo (or of course the dreaded emergency).... such an emergency which did happen once on Skiddaw in mid-Winter.

I’d never actually answer a call on my mobile (unless it was an emergency). In fact I don’t actually use my phone at all for phone calls

It’s a mobile mini computer with lots a fantastic applications that’s also good for sending messages

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    Have you checked you can still make calls? Some mobile networks re-allocate the number if the no calls or credit top-up for a period (3 - 12 months).
    You're right. I'm was with Orange but now it's ee or similar and I found a text from them with that warning. I simply made a call to my home landline and left a message on my ansaphone so it's re-set now. My main problem is that the battery seems to run down after a few weeks even if the phone is off. That does mean I remember to check it regularly now though.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Most of the places I run nowadays I know pretty well, very well or like the back of my hand anyway but, either way, I’d always take my mobile.

I’m fortunate enough to have the viewranger app on my phone loaded with all of the uk ordinance survey mapping coverage which, providing the phone is charged, works on gps so it isn’t mobile signal dependent. And having access to you’re exact position marked on a mini OS map of wherever you are is an extremely useful thing to have on tap. It can tell me my grid reference, with the option to set it to 6, 8 or 10 digits, or alternatively my position in latitude and longitude and other mapping position metrics that I don’t understand at all but make me feel smug for having anyway

My running vest always has a real compass in one of the pockets and my watch, a Garmin fenix 5, also has a return to start function, giving me a breadcrumb trail to follow back if I ever needed to (never needed yet). The Fenix 5 also has a compass. As does the view ranger app and my mobile phone itself.

My phone also has an additional battery capacity storage in its case so a charged battery is always very likely.

I have the ‘find my friends’ app set up with Hester so she can find out where I am (if there is a mobile signal), as too, not quite so handily, can my daughter in Abu Dhabi and my other daughter in Australia

I can also take pictures on my mobile too, probably it’s most useful function and the best reason of all to carry it. That and important looking up wildlife identification and other things and places we happen upon on the internet

Fortunately Garmin have updated their "return to start" feature - it used to send you back the way you came even if, after a 20 mile outing, you were only 1/2 a mile away from where you started. Now you can choose this, if you wish, or a straight line direction to where you started. Of course that straight line may not be an appropriate route, but having a direction is still very helpful.