Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Cautionary reminder

I once received a "have you had PPI mis-sold" call when running in the Sierra Nevada in Spain. I suggested they consider their life choices, having ascertained that they'd studied law - such a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I once received a "have you had PPI mis-sold" call when running in the Sierra Nevada in Spain. I suggested they consider their life choices, having ascertained that they'd studied law - such a waste.
    Well not everybody is clever enough to be a Chartered Engineer Noel.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 17-02-2021 at 09:26 AM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Most of the places I run nowadays I know pretty well, very well or like the back of my hand anyway but, either way, I’d always take my mobile.

I’m fortunate enough to have the viewranger app on my phone loaded with all of the uk ordinance survey mapping coverage which, providing the phone is charged, works on gps so it isn’t mobile signal dependent. And having access to you’re exact position marked on a mini OS map of wherever you are is an extremely useful thing to have on tap. It can tell me my grid reference, with the option to set it to 6, 8 or 10 digits, or alternatively my position in latitude and longitude and other mapping position metrics that I don’t understand at all but make me feel smug for having anyway

My running vest always has a real compass in one of the pockets and my watch, a Garmin fenix 5, also has a return to start function, giving me a breadcrumb trail to follow back if I ever needed to (never needed yet). The Fenix 5 also has a compass. As does the view ranger app and my mobile phone itself.

My phone also has an additional battery capacity storage in its case so a charged battery is always very likely.

I have the ‘find my friends’ app set up with Hester so she can find out where I am (if there is a mobile signal), as too, not quite so handily, can my daughter in Abu Dhabi and my other daughter in Australia

I can also take pictures on my mobile too, probably it’s most useful function and the best reason of all to carry it. That and important looking up wildlife identification and other things and places we happen upon on the internet

Why wouldn’t you take a mobile with access to all that?
    I have to agree with S. I love the ViewRanger app. It's brilliant. I've been on loads of new unknown to me paths and runs (pre lockdown) and it's just so easy to navigate quickly when running. Rather than the faff of getting a big paper map out. I do usually take a paper map just in case but have never needed to get it out. I've got a good few new runs waiting till we can travel a bit further. I have hours of fun plotting routes on ViewRanger.

Also tracking family members when they are out in the wilds gives peace of mind.

Photos are also another fab function.

Quote Originally Posted by millipede View Post
    I have to agree with S. I love the ViewRanger app. It's brilliant. I've been on loads of new unknown to me paths and runs (pre lockdown) and it's just so easy to navigate quickly when running. Rather than the faff of getting a big paper map out. I do usually take a paper map just in case but have never needed to get it out. I've got a good few new runs waiting till we can travel a bit further. I have hours of fun plotting routes on ViewRanger.

Also tracking family members when they are out in the wilds gives peace of mind.

Photos are also another fab function.
    My partner, who does have a smart phone (tut!), has access to my Ordnance Survey subscription and an OS app, which she uses a lot. I've just checked out ViewRanger for her after reading the above posts. However, reading some of the recent reviews of ViewRanger there's criticism that VR have "sold out" to "Outdoor Active" - what's that about?

She didn't install the VR app as it asks for credit card details. She's decided to stick with my OS subscription for now that I use on my Macbook pro and which I pay for
    Am Yisrael Chai

Mossdog I don’t really know anything about Outdoor Active and their merger with ViewRanger. I think (but am really not sure about this) that on view ranger you can (or could) make your own routes available to other users and earn credits towards other maps that you needed to purchase and, as part of the merger, some users were worried they wouldn’t be able to do this anymore. That doesn't really bother me and I haven’t ever thought of sharing my routes through the app anyway.

I also have the OS app and the advantage of that is that you get the whole of the U.K. for an annual subscription. On ViewRanger you purchase the OS explorer map tiles that you need just like buying real maps. The big disadvantage to the OS map though is that it’s on-line only which means that maps can either take ages to load or, as we found in the wilds of Scotland, not load at all due to lack of internet

Mossdog I don’t really know anything about Outdoor Active and their merger with ViewRanger. I think (but am really not sure about this) that on view ranger you can (or could) make your own routes available to other users and earn credits towards other maps that you needed to purchase and, as part of the merger, some users were worried they wouldn’t be able to do this anymore. That doesn't really bother me and I haven’t ever thought of sharing my routes through the app anyway.

I also have the OS app and the advantage of that is that you get the whole of the U.K. for an annual subscription. On ViewRanger you purchase the OS explorer map tiles that you need just like buying real maps. The big disadvantage to the OS map though is that it’s on-line only which means that maps can either take ages to load or, as we found in the wilds of Scotland, not load at all due to lack of internet
    In defence of the OS map app, you can download bits at a time for when you know you'll be out of mobile range. And that's at no extra price. So you could go on a touring holiday, and just download the maps you needed for the following day - eg, if you had wifi at your stopovers.

In defence of the OS map app, you can download bits at a time for when you know you'll be out of mobile range. And that's at no extra price. So you could go on a touring holiday, and just download the maps you needed for the following day - eg, if you had wifi at your stopovers.
    Thanks Noel. I actually just went back into the OS maps app to try that but my premium subscription has now expired and I couldn’t. Presumably the downloaded map only stays on your phone for a fixed timescale?

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Am I the only person who uses, free of charge, Streetmap.co.uk?

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf...ay=472500&lm=0
    I use streetmap.co.uk as my first choice when I want to look at the geography of some place; but not for navigation on the move.
    Last edited by anthonykay; 17-02-2021 at 06:56 PM.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Thanks Noel. I actually just went back into the OS maps app to try that but my premium subscription has now expired and I couldn’t. Presumably the downloaded map only stays on your phone for a fixed timescale?
    Good question. Maybe it deleted when your subscription expired. I've just turned my wifi off to test it, and I've still got my local downloaded maps from maybe 2 years ago.

Good question. Maybe it deleted when your subscription expired. I've just turned my wifi off to test it, and I've still got my local downloaded maps from maybe 2 years ago.
    We did the same and downloaded a set of maps onto an ipad for the Isles of Harris and Lewis a couple of years ago and it worked very well.
    Am Yisrael Chai