Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: A Cautionary reminder

I pay twentyfive pounds a year and get the whole of the Uk through View Ranger.

(I don't understand Outdoor active and haven't used it).

I use it for planning routes and measuring them. Which I do on the computer or IPad. You can label and save your routes in your own private collection.

Then I use it to navigate on my phone (when running) when I have worked out where I am going.

You can download the route onto your phone and follow the line but I prefer to just get it in my head and then use the map to navigate. The GPS feature that tells you exactly where you are on the map if you press the magic button makes it very quick and easy.

I don't share my routes or look at anyone else's so don't know how credits work.

I don't need to as I am so good at planning routes. Ha ha.(Only joking but I am good)

Seriously would recommend. I know you are all tight fellrunners but it is well worth it for hours of route planning and running.
    Last edited by millipede; 17-02-2021 at 11:08 PM.

I have tripped over a speed bump (and hit the tarmac) on a track while looking at my phone - so use running while looking at your phone navigation with caution!!

Think this shows that technology has its uses... But not totally in place of map & compass, and should never be totally relied upon.

And obviously no place for it in races.

The trouble with maps is that a) they’re really unwieldy, especially in bad weather, and b) can be lost or left behind too. I’ve found a few maps left behind while out in the hills. It’s fair to criticise technology for its potential although unlikely failure but don’t lose sight of the fact that maps can have their own critical failings too

Master
    Maps - Mountain Rescue carry them, but do they use them? Of course they don't.

To me technology just takes away part of the experience. Yes, I admit to using a GPS watch and I'll look at it for time and distance while I'm out but I use it primarily to record and review my training. I'm also not too proud to admit that I'd use it to get my location and reorient in an emergency. However the difference for me is largely that navigation is part of the sport - would you rather buy something or make it yourself if you had the ability? Would you rather ride an electric bike over Honister Pass or ride a proper bike over it? And in either case could you legitimately claim satisfaction from the easier option?

I agree with the navigation being part of the fun. I think I’m just saying that a map and compass are also ‘technology’, just not as up to date technology as a smart phone and mapping app. You don’t have to use either but can if needs must

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    I agree with the navigation being part of the fun. I think I’m just saying that a map and compass are also ‘technology’, just not as up to date technology as a smart phone and mapping app. You don’t have to use either but can if needs must
    Agree. Twistry hazel stick and the wind on my cheeks (not saying which set!) does it for me
    Am Yisrael Chai

On the topic of navigational skills, I'd recommend watching Shackleton's Captain? Captain Frank Worsley, arguable the true hero of the entire escapade, navigating using a soggy sexton, fag-packet calculations, in a dirty bashed open boat, crossing heaving angry antarctic seas, in winter storm conditions, over hundreds of sea miles, to hit the small 'speck' of isle of South Georgia.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1730698/

I can't remember if it was on Netflix or Amazon, but worth checking out.
    Am Yisrael Chai

I know we are now into wonderful Spring weather and I am about to go for a run on Winter Hill but when we had those sub-zero temperatures I would always take fully charged phone and my sol survival bag, running in microspikes (a bit awkward for the tarmac parts as I ran from home so had a couple of stretches on the road which had cleared of ice and snow).
    Re ViewRanger, I found it immensely useful when walking the GR36 in France as I could download the maps where I had access to wi-fi onto my mac mini. I didn't need it so much on the signposted GR36 but it came into its own when making my way back off the GR to where I was to stay on my final night which had rail connections back to Caen (the GR36 goes all the way from the ferry port of Ouistrahem down to the Pyrenees - I had two weeks on the northern section)