Thread: 55@55

55@55

I'm just going through the records for the club site and wondered if anyone knew if the following four were the only ones to have completed a 55@55 round:

Paul Murray 1997
    George Brass 1998
    Dennis Lucas 1998
    Julie Carter 2019

A pretty select club if so.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Hi Bob, your post has led me on an idle afternoon to browse the 55@55 info on your excellent website.
    Interestingly the extra 5 tops for the 55 are defined, but the 8 peaks from 42 to 50 have a lot of variation.
    Is that how its defined? 8 additional peaks from the 50 list and then the 5 from the 55 list?
    Just curious.
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

The first extended rounds were done before anyone thought of what might be suitable or valid peaks for doing so.
    Applying a set of rules "after the fact" might have meant that existing 50@50s be regarded as invalid. As a result some extra peaks might be thought of as more deserving than others.

It does mean that the standard 42 is defined and the 24hr record also has a set of defined tops but everything in between doesn't.

I'd imagine that Paul Murray and Dennis Lucas simply built on their 50@50 rounds (but have no evidence to support that). Incidentally Paul and Dennis are the only members of a very, very exclusive club to have done a standard round, a 50@50 and a 55@55.

I'm still waiting for Julie to get back to me with her list - she's had a computer malfunction - so it may just be coincidence that the five extra tops for the 55 are the same for the other three.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back