Thread: Strava Cal nonsense

Strava Cal nonsense

I have zero interest in tracking energy consumption by doing sport.
    But I do find annoying when random numbers are thrown at us and we are supposed to take them as informative.
    Here Strava cycling examples:

MTB 39km, 72m, 23km/h: 1265 cal
    Roadie: 53km, 1180m, 20km/h: 1100 cal.

WTF?

Mind you, the 1100cal of the hilly road ride was 1700cal for the first 24hr before Strava update it��.

They only do it as a rough estimate, you know to try and help . Full explanation of Strava calories here -> https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/...bile_site=true

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    I have zero interest in tracking energy consumption by doing sport.
    But I do find annoying when random numbers are thrown at us and we are supposed to take them as informative.
    Here Strava cycling examples:

MTB 39km, 72m, 23km/h: 1265 cal
    Roadie: 53km, 1180m, 20km/h: 1100 cal.

WTF?
    All you need to know is: 1 Fig Roll = 5 miles hilly or 10 miles flat!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I think the Strava calorie counts are there to make us feel better, think they are well overestimated (unfortunately). I only use the figures to justify opening another bottle of beer or having more chocolate or crisps in the evening.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

I don't mind they are over or under estimated. I mind they are just random numbers.

again:
    distance 39km, climb 72m: 1265 cal
    distance 53km, climb 1180m: 1100 cal

WTF?
    How come if I ride 35% longer, and climb 16 times more (!!) I spend 16% cal less!!!

Saying their algorithm to estimate cal is not very precise is too generous. They are just throwing random nonsense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    All you need to know is: 1 Fig Roll = 5 miles hilly or 10 miles flat!
    Have to many fig rolls and get a PB as they are a Laxative .

Or better still if something annoys you ignore it
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    I don't mind they are over or under estimated. I mind they are just random numbers.

again:
    distance 39km, climb 72m: 1265 cal
    distance 53km, climb 1180m: 1100 cal

WTF?
    How come if I ride 35% longer, and climb 16 times more (!!) I spend 16% cal less!!!

Saying their algorithm to estimate cal is not very precise is too generous. They are just throwing random nonsense.
    But what about rolling resistance? I'm led to believe mountain bikes are clunky slow things whereas road bikes are smooth machines.

But you're right - it's a load of rubbish.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Firstly, Strava only reports your stats if uploaded from any other site or device. It doesn't (well shouldn't) amend anything.
    So presumably you use the Strava app. In which case your profile needs to have all your physical attributes updated (weight etc) to calculate correctly so probably best check those too.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Firstly, Strava only reports your stats if uploaded from any other site or device. It doesn't (well shouldn't) amend anything.
    So presumably you use the Strava app. In which case your profile needs to have all your physical attributes updated (weight etc) to calculate correctly so probably best check those too.
    Pete. Not sure what you intended. But yes of course Strava has all my attributes (well, my weight, what else...?). It takes my cycling from my smartphone.
    I agree it shouldn't change the stats it produced. But it did.
    As much as I ignore these stats, it bothers me someone producing random garbage and then saying "here, we produce this great and super useful stat to help you getting fit, great isn't it?...."