Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kendal calling!

Not living in either place I think I’d go for Kendal. From a running and great outdoors perspective, I’d say it’s pretty central for access to many parts of the Lake District. It has Scout Scar on tap and Kentmire just around the corner. The south lakes are not far away, neither are the stunningly beautiful low tide beaches at Arnside and Silverdale. Obviously the central lakes, Windermere and all are really easily got at but so too is Kirkstone and Patterdale beyond that. And the Howgills and Sedburgh just over the M6.

Best of all though, looking east, you’re only 45 minutes away from the Yorkshire Dales with Farleton Knott and Hutton Roof that way too. I personally love the contrasts from having a great day out in the Lakes somewhere and seeing Farleton Knott, all scrubby trees and limestone, as we drive past and then, having gone through Kirkby Lonsdale (also beautiful) and Ingleton, the stunning limestone scars either side of Chapel le Dale going north towards Ribblehead.

Kendal wins
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 01-03-2021 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Thank you all for the feedback guys and gals. We are now having a closer look at Penrith to see what it offers, and is looking promising. It offers the road and rail infrastructure we would like, but also closer access to the JNC and BGR that we both wish to become a little bit more au fait with in the coming years.

I am familiar with the terrain on the west side of the M6, but what is the East side (Eden Valley) side like for trails and hills?

One further question regarding Penrith - what is with the "Penrith Pong"? Just realized this is next door to a really nice property in Catterlen we were cooing over last night, but just noticed it is next door to the Omega Protein plant. Is this much of an issue if we were to look on the East side of the M6?

Mossdog is the man to speak to re the Eden Valley.

But yes, the Cross Fell range is within 10 miles of Penrith.

The southern (Yorkshire Dales part) of the Eden Valley is gorgeous by the way. Mallerstang and Wild Boar Fell

I personally never noticed the so called Penrith Pong - but plenty did, although I suspect Catterlen is out of range. Might be a bit of motorway noise to contend with. I lived for a while in Laithes, just over the hill from Catterlen. Almost zero off road running options but nice cycling routes. What footpaths there were tended to be muddy and jealously guarded by a local farmer. Greystoke Forest was in runnable range, and Greystoke Moor (or ride out and run when you get there - also not much further to ride to Mungrisedale/Carrock Fell/Calebreck area). Greystoke Moor was good and supposedly has local access permission but beware of shooting parties who will chase you off. My vote would still be for Kendal, better running from the doorstep.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Lemmy that is rather interesting, as i've been in a very similar position to you in the past few months.
    House-share! Just think what you can afford between the two of you.

Like this place: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/74510301#/ which is essentially two separate cottages.

Only 4 bathrooms though... a bit of a disappointment

Got a bike, or fancy a hilly road run?

Great Dun Fell - highest road in Britain. Another plus for the Penrith and the Eden valley?

https://clevelandwheelers.com/great-...ad-in-britain/

Want some more 'epic'? Just over the Pennines we have Harthope Head, the highest road pass in England with it's own warning sign to cyclists to watch out for extreme weather and yetis. Ok, no yetis.

Penrith and environs- got it all!

https://roadcyclinguk.com/sportive/t...-pennines.html
    Last edited by Mossdog; 01-03-2021 at 09:51 PM.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Mossdog, I think you may have just sold it to me right there!

We moved to Kendal from flat Yorkshire and it’s an ace place to be. Good range of pubs, cafes and restaurants and all in walking (or staggering distance). It’s friendly too and it doesn’t take long to make friends.

Runs you have Scout Scar, Cunswick, Brunt Knott, the Helm plus river routes. Access is easiest to Kentmere or Longsleddale for the Lakes when it’s silly season; though the best thing to do is go early or late when everyone else goes home if you want the proper fix.

Don’t know Penrith well apart from Cranstons 😉 but sure it’s nice as well. We made the choice of Kendal as it’s a real town and not dedicated too much to tourists

We are off to view a property in Bentham at the weekend. It seems to offer a lot of running options, as it is nestled between the three district parks of the Lakes, Yorkshire dales and the Trough of Bowland. It isn't a village we are familiar with, and is obviously much smaller than the likes of Kendal and Penrith, but sounds like it could have quite a heart with having a livestock market twice weekly. Does anyone have experience of living here or close too?