Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Kendal calling!

  1. #1
    Senior Member Lemmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Posts
    114

    Kendal calling!

    Having spent nigh on 30 years living on the edge of the Peak district, initially for climbing reasons and lately for running, we have decided to up sticks and relocate north!

    Luckily, work has been gracious enough to give me a change in job rolls too, which requires me to cover the North of England in a technical sales role that encompasses Lancashire, Yorkshire, Northumberland and Cumbria - get in!!

    So! We have very loosely dropped a pin on Kendal to start looking for a place to live. This will obviously offer great access in the Lakeland fells whilst being in close proximity to the M6 or the rail network at Oxenholme. That said, we are open to options and have seen some great properties in areas such as Milnthorpe, Burton in Kendal, Bentham and Kirkby Lonsdale.

    If this was you, where would you look? Or if you live there now, what's good? We like pubs, running, cakes and dogs.

  2. #2
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    3,622
    Lemmy that is rather interesting, as i've been in a very similar position to you in the past few months.

    I've been considering a move to the Lakes for some time, but where i currently live (West Midlands) is fantastic for the industry i work in, and i'd struggle to find a similar job role up there (in reality i'd have to take a massive pay cut, such that i'd have probably just left the industry and done something else).

    But the Corona fiasco has eventually led to me being able to work permanently from home, and i am also now in a position to take my job with me.

    My initial thoughts were along the same lines as yourself... Kendal/Penrith, due to access to West Coast Main Line and the M6 (as much as i'd like to live in Eskdale/Wasdale/Ennerdale, i've still got to be relatively flexible with regards to work and travel, as well as having good broadband and phone for work purposes). I would also have considered Ambleside/Keswick/Hawkshead/Cockermouth/Sedbergh/Kirkby Lonsdale, if the right sort of place became available.

    As it is, i'm moving to Tirril, midway between Penrith and Pooley Bridge, in mid-April (subject of course to my house sale completing without a hitch).

    I'm renting initially, so probably in a different boat to you. But there seems to be plenty available around Kendal and Penrith, and i have been very pleasantly surprised by what you can get for the money.

    I did also consider the West Coast at Whitehaven, as your money goes even further there, but eventually considered that just a little too far at this stage.

  3. #3
    Master Mossdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Teesdale
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Having spent nigh on 30 years living on the edge of the Peak district, initially for climbing reasons and lately for running, we have decided to up sticks and relocate north!

    Luckily, work has been gracious enough to give me a change in job rolls too, which requires me to cover the North of England in a technical sales role that encompasses Lancashire, Yorkshire, Northumberland and Cumbria - get in!!

    So! We have very loosely dropped a pin on Kendal to start looking for a place to live. This will obviously offer great access in the Lakeland fells whilst being in close proximity to the M6 or the rail network at Oxenholme. That said, we are open to options and have seen some great properties in areas such as Milnthorpe, Burton in Kendal, Bentham and Kirkby Lonsdale.

    If this was you, where would you look? Or if you live there now, what's good? We like pubs, running, cakes and dogs.
    If you're looking for a town, Penrith, or there abouts - has it all, except the hordes of tourists that you have to cope with in the Lakes.
    Eat more cake because life is shorter than you thi...

  4. #4
    Senior Member Lemmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Posts
    114
    Travs, thanks for the reply. Sounds like a brave decision with a similar goal to ourselves of moving to new hills to explore. Good luck with the new venture!

    Initially we are looking to buy, but also we are considering the rented properties too, with the advantage of being able to see if we actually like any specific area first. Had lockdown looked likely to extend for longer than I'm sure there would be plenty of AirBnB's likely to snap your hand off for some guaranteed income for six months or so.

    May I ask, what drew you to Tirril?

    Mossdog - What is it about Penrith that has everything more than let's say Kendal? We are keen on the idea of a town as much for convenience but also for the social side. We will have to make new connections and friends, so this can help on that score.

    Being able to meet up with runners and have a couple of post run bevvies will be important to us, so we won't want somewhere that is too remote on that count.

  5. #5
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    3,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Travs, thanks for the reply. Sounds like a brave decision with a similar goal to ourselves of moving to new hills to explore. Good luck with the new venture!

    Initially we are looking to buy, but also we are considering the rented properties too, with the advantage of being able to see if we actually like any specific area first. Had lockdown looked likely to extend for longer than I'm sure there would be plenty of AirBnB's likely to snap your hand off for some guaranteed income for six months or so.

    May I ask, what drew you to Tirril?

    Mossdog - What is it about Penrith that has everything more than let's say Kendal? We are keen on the idea of a town as much for convenience but also for the social side. We will have to make new connections and friends, so this can help on that score.

    Being able to meet up with runners and have a couple of post run bevvies will be important to us, so we won't want somewhere that is too remote on that count.
    Tirril... I won't go into too much detail, but I was rather fortunate to hear about a place there "on the grapevine" that wasn't on the market. To be honest I was pretty sure I'd be town-based until this place became a real possibility.

    A combination of location (3 miles to Penrith, 2 miles Ullswater, can get on the Loadpot - High Street range from the door, and loads more routes within a very short drive/cycle).... And a nice property (wanted to live somewhere with a bit of character).

    Penrith/Kendal.... I initially thought Penrith would have a marginally better location in terms of getting to most places in the Lake District. But there's not much in it, and Kendal is a lovely town (perhaps even nicer than Penrith)

    Penrith has great access to the Pennines as much as the Lakes. But then Kendal is good for Howgills, Dentdale, and the Dales.
    Last edited by Travs; 27-02-2021 at 10:44 PM.

  6. #6
    Master Mossdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Teesdale
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    Mossdog - What is it about Penrith that has everything more than let's say Kendal? We are keen on the idea of a town as much for convenience but also for the social side. We will have to make new connections and friends, so this can help on that score.
    Lemmy, I don't think you'd go wrong with either Kendal or Penrith to be honest. For me, Penrith being in the wonderful Eden valley, is a great asset. You've also got really easy access to not only the northern and eastern Lakes, but there's the North Pennines too. From almost anywhere in Penrith. looking east, you can't miss the enticing profile of Crossfell, Little Dun Fell and Great Dun Fell looming large. Then there's the Howgills too, just down the motorway. True you can also get to the Hows relatively easy from Kendal, but along busy, twisting narrow A-roads to Tebay or Sedbergh.

    Kendal's access to the mid and north Lakes is via touristy Windermere and you've still a way to go to reach decent fells (I'm sure there are some Kendalites who'd disagree!) Kendal is obviously larger. so there's more in the way of facilities/culture if that's your interest, and by the way it has this little known shop called Pete Blands ( ).

    You mentioned Kirby Lonsdale - seriously posh and expensive!

    Kirkby Stephen and Sedbergh are brill too, smaller market towns, but with easy access to the fells from your front door if you live there.

    Wherever you end up oophnorth, you'll love it.
    Last edited by Mossdog; 27-02-2021 at 11:02 PM.
    Eat more cake because life is shorter than you thi...

  7. #7
    Master Mossdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Teesdale
    Posts
    1,879
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Lemmy that is rather interesting, as i've been in a very similar position to you in the past few months.

    I've been considering a move to the Lakes for some time, but where i currently live (West Midlands) is fantastic for the industry i work in, and i'd struggle to find a similar job role up there (in reality i'd have to take a massive pay cut, such that i'd have probably just left the industry and done something else).

    But the Corona fiasco has eventually led to me being able to work permanently from home, and i am also now in a position to take my job with me.

    My initial thoughts were along the same lines as yourself... Kendal/Penrith, due to access to West Coast Main Line and the M6 (as much as i'd like to live in Eskdale/Wasdale/Ennerdale, i've still got to be relatively flexible with regards to work and travel, as well as having good broadband and phone for work purposes). I would also have considered Ambleside/Keswick/Hawkshead/Cockermouth/Sedbergh/Kirkby Lonsdale, if the right sort of place became available.

    As it is, i'm moving to Tirril, midway between Penrith and Pooley Bridge, in mid-April (subject of course to my house sale completing without a hitch).

    I'm renting initially, so probably in a different boat to you. But there seems to be plenty available around Kendal and Penrith, and i have been very pleasantly surprised by what you can get for the money.

    I did also consider the West Coast at Whitehaven, as your money goes even further there, but eventually considered that just a little too far at this stage.
    And if you get bored with all of that then the seldom visited, much overlooked and underrated, Moffat Hills are only about an hour away!
    Eat more cake because life is shorter than you thi...

  8. #8
    I grew up in Ambleside but sadly don't feel I would choose to live there now. I had to leave for work (and housing was difficult to afford, even in the 1970s) but the place is now just so busy all year round. I ended up in Penrith but spent 30 years trying to move back to Kendal, which I personally prefer. I think Kendal has better running options on the doorstep - Scout Scar, The Helm etc. From Penrith without driving Heughscar (and eventually if you want, High Street and beyond) are accessible and it's a nice run up through Lowther Park and Askham, back via Tirrel and the river bank. But I still think Kendal has better choices.
    Interestingly fuel in Kendal is consistently 5-10p a litre cheaper than Penrith. That maybe suggests something about how the two towns see themselves? That might not sound like much but it's five shillings a gallon!

  9. #9
    I should have said I now live in Shap. Much more affordable, good facilities in the village and numerous trail running options all around with the eastern fells being in runnable distance for longer outings. Great cycling base as well - I ride the roads really but there are plenty of bridleways as well.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Lemmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Staffordshire Moorlands
    Posts
    114
    Thank you all for the feedback guys and gals. We are now having a closer look at Penrith to see what it offers, and is looking promising. It offers the road and rail infrastructure we would like, but also closer access to the JNC and BGR that we both wish to become a little bit more au fait with in the coming years.

    I am familiar with the terrain on the west side of the M6, but what is the East side (Eden Valley) side like for trails and hills?

    One further question regarding Penrith - what is with the "Penrith Pong"? Just realized this is next door to a really nice property in Catterlen we were cooing over last night, but just noticed it is next door to the Omega Protein plant. Is this much of an issue if we were to look on the East side of the M6?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •