Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kendal calling!

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
    We are off to view a property in Bentham at the weekend. It seems to offer a lot of running options, as it is nestled between the three district parks of the Lakes, Yorkshire dales and the Trough of Bowland. It isn't a village we are familiar with, and is obviously much smaller than the likes of Kendal and Penrith, but sounds like it could have quite a heart with having a livestock market twice weekly. Does anyone have experience of living here or close too?
    I live fairly close to Bentham, about 12 miles away in Horton-in-Riblesdale. Quite a few members of Settle Harriers, my running club, come from there and Bentham also have their own running club, the Bentham Beagles. The view from the Big Stone, on the moor just above Bentham, of the 3 Peaks of Yorkshire is a bobby dazzler. Its obviously the perfect position for access to Bowland Forest, the Yorkshire Dales and the Lakes. Settle nearby is lovely too. A couple of my running buddies there regularly run up Ingleborough and back from home, so if you take a little pinch of salt, you'll have access to a mountain from the front door
    Last edited by Fellbeast; 05-03-2021 at 03:21 PM.

Thank You Fellbeast. We did a house viewing in Bentham on Saturday, and despite our initial gut feeling that Bentham the village may not be for us, we came away quite liking the house (views of Interborough to the north and he Bowland fells to the south) and the village (had everything except the candlestick maker). Just a shame we couldn't go and sample the local drinking holes, of which there were plenty from the doorstep!

Well, we ultimately put an offer in for the house at Bentham, which was accepted. Fingers crossed and a good wind and we will be North bound some time in early June. Perfect timing to get some in on the 3 Peaks prior to October!

Only question now is... Settle Harriers or Bowland??

Nice one Lemmy.

On a similar note, my house sale completed this morning, and my official moving date to Lakes is 15th April (although it'll probably be late April before i'm moved permanently).

You're spoilt for choice round there. Where are Lonsdale based? And Howgill Harriers.

That’s a no brainer, Settle Harriers of course

Or perhaps Coventry Godiva Harriers (Northern Branch)
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    Or perhaps Coventry Godiva Harriers (Northern Branch)
    Certainly a club with a rich fell-running tradition...

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Nice one Lemmy.

On a similar note, my house sale completed this morning, and my official moving date to Lakes is 15th April (although it'll probably be late April before i'm moved permanently).
    Excellent stuff - guess you are feeling pretty giddy right now? I know I am - even threw out half a dozen pairs of shoes from the cluttered understairs this afternoon, and we won't even be there for another two months!

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    That’s a no brainer, Settle Harriers of course
    We should meet up for trot once we are up that way and discuss this over a pint in a beer garden perhaps