I might have the opportunity to work part time in the next year or so. I was wondering about in my days off doing something outdoorsy. Before I qualified as a teacher I wanted to work as an outdoor instructor but the opportunity never arose for me to make a go of it. Now I wonder whether there is scope to do something new. I live in Northumberland which seems to be a bit of developing tourism region and wonder whether offering guided runs in the Cheviots would be a good way to spend my days not working in a school. I’m not so much as asking for business advice but asking if I was go forward with the idea what qualifications does a “running guide” need?

I thought Mountain Leader but it’s not really running related, but gives a grounding in mountain travel?

If I wanted to teach navigation which qualification has the most kudos? I orienteer and run MMS so can navigate but think people like to see you have a certificate.

Also I like the idea of Nordic walking/running. I’ve seen the walking qualification but is there a running with poles qualification?

It’s worth noting that I wouldn’t need to make money from the venture, my teaching would support me.