Thread: Dragons Back Race cut offs

Dragons Back Race cut offs

Hi all,

I am just curious...how tight are the cut offs on the race?

I have read a few blogs who have said people are being timed out on day 1!!! I've recced parts the the Paddy before and know that its actually very technical and slow moving.

I am just curious to know how any slayers have found it?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Reilly

Reilly.

The first day is entirely doable if you keep moving. I'm a mid-pack fell runner and in 2015 I was hours inside the cutoffs. Even in 2019 when I started struggling with breathing from half way I finished comfortably on day 1.

The real problem is that you want to continue to be fresh as the week goes on. In 2015 I was up against every cutoff (lunchtime and evening) from the end of day 2 onwards until my generous wife gave up her race to look after me on the last day. You can improve your chances by setting off as early as you can, not faffing, especially at the lunchtime stop, and making sure your admin at night (recovery, taking on board food, having everything ready for the next day) is spot on. In 2015 there was also nav to take into account as the route was given to you at the beginning of each day and I made a number of sub optimal decisions there.

Finishing in 2015 was one of the high points of my running life though, and the whole week gave me so many brilliant memories. I hope you have as good a time as I did.

NB I think they have changed the cutoffs for 2021 as it's later in the year, but I'm sure all the above will still apply.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.

Yes, I think cut offs will be a bit harder, but based on data this shouldn't result in too many people being short-coursed.
    That's looking at it in terms of data. Looking at those few people as numbers, it will be quite hard for the few extra who DNF the full course.
    Given the extra day this year the extra hour(I think?) less each day may just bring forward the point of moving to the short course for those who were going to DNF anyway.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Thanks for the responses

I'm very excited...Just waiting for the National Parks to open their arms again.

I was obviously there when Dino completed, as I've marshalled the last 4 and for most average ability runners it is a wonderful achievement and a running highlight, you will never forget the adventure.
    The cut off times are easily achievable on their own as no speed is involved, but what you have to train for is the discipline of managing your body, not too fast and not too slow, stay comfortable within your ability and within the times.
    You must have your routine and not linger at checkpoints or be indecisive about decisions, have a set routine and plan then stick to it. It is a matter of running your own race and speed, you will naturally group up with others of your ability but don't be afraid to drop off if the pace is too fast or slow.
    At the end of the day have your time planned, first you and kit are taken to your tent - then what? Eat, drink, sleep, sort gear and food for tomorrow, aggravated by the guy snoring (ear plugs?), blisters, sores?
    All about planning for every eventuality. See you you in the pub at Rhandirmwyn 😀.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.