Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Camper van advice

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by SCOOT View Post
    There's a big Hoo Ha about these changes at the moment as the big camper conversion companies can't get the V5 doc changed to camper van either. As you say the van has to have the appearance of a camper and as such it must have a permanent fixed high top roof and not a "pop top". I used to convert my own vans and had no problem and now have a one from Camper King that I got 2 years ago before the change to the regs so I'm okay but the same model today, although identical is a van with windows and therefore subject to the lower speed limits. I would argue that they fit the rules for a "multi purpous vehicle" and therefore okay despite what the V5 says but you would have to attnd court and argue your case. I'm suprised there hasn't been a test case.
    Interesting article on this here:
    https://www.parkers.co.uk/vans-picku...-speed-limits/

Seems reasonable that if you have a VW California (which is classed on the V5C as a motorcaravan) should be legally the same as a VW transporter that has been converted to the same spec. Not sure whether I'd be brave enough to contest that in court though!

Ah that explains things. I’d been wondering what you guys were on about regarding camper van speed limits as I’d specifically checked when I got my VW Cali that it was the same as a car. Confused but now not confused

It's chicken and egg. If speed limits are different for commercial vehicles and private cars is it for a good reason? After all they tend to be larger and heavier. If that's the case there's probably a better argument for all campervan/motorhomes being restricted to commercial vehicle limits regardless of what it says on the registration document. After all they are just commercial vehicles that happen to be loaded with living equipment instead of bananas. Just saying....
    Too much effort to get classes changed could backfire, like happened with state pension equality for both sexes.

Safe to say with our dogs snug in their zone at the back, the bikes on the bike rack and the SUPs on the roof, we won’t be going anywhere very fast, regardless of what road we’re on. Getting kind of desperate now for a new adventure

[QUOTE=Fellbeast;672455]Safe to say with our dogs snug in their zone at the back,

Dogs snug in the back?

Around here they tend to be either sat on the front seat doing the navigating, or hanging out of the window and covering cyclist's that they overtake in slobber!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    It's chicken and egg. If speed limits are different for commercial vehicles and private cars is it for a good reason? After all they tend to be larger and heavier. If that's the case there's probably a better argument for all campervan/motorhomes being restricted to commercial vehicle limits regardless of what it says on the registration document. After all they are just commercial vehicles that happen to be loaded with living equipment instead of bananas. Just saying....
    Too much effort to get classes changed could backfire, like happened with state pension equality for both sexes.
    Yes - I agree. Realistically it doesn't make much sense to classify some of the LWB/high top conversions along the same lines as a car so more likely that all campervans and motorhomes would be given the same status as LGVs.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Yes - I agree. Realistically it doesn't make much sense to classify some of the LWB/high top conversions along the same lines as a car so more likely that all campervans and motorhomes would be given the same status as LGVs.
    I understand that the new classifications are there to assist with identifying camper vans as opposed to commercial vans when spotted by Police safety (speed detector) vans and other such vehicles. If that is the case it isn't to do with safety.
    My van is a VW transporter and is probably smaller and lighter than the latest crop of SUV's from Range Rover, BMW etc.
    I get that a van that is poorly loaded and top heavy will be less stable around corners but there aren't any of those on Dual carrigeways.
    One step beyond.