Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camper van advice

Still waiting to pick mine up, but it's a compact motorhome not a camper.
    We spent 4 months looking from July.
    Started local around Blackburn/Preston where we have a good selection of dealers as there were some historical caravan builders based around here.
    Then went around GM, West Yorkshire and even had a two night trip to Newark, popping in at one near Derby just off the A50 on the way back.
    I think I know most makes and models now from around 2005 to new.

It's funny how you change your mind. I initially fancied a rear lounge with a 3-4 berth option and ended up with a fixed rear double bed, with a huge garage underneath.
    I felt storage of the garage to put bikes, dirty kit etc

We were lucky I suppose, we had a reasonable budget, but for me I looked at running costs and depreciation.

If you buy a £40k model, or a £25k model, it will still only depreciate 2-3K per year in the current market so if you can afford the initial outlay it seemed better to have a newer model

Looking at breaks of up to 10 days, but mostly weekends.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

We had an external shower point on our last van and it was very useful. Much easier than mucking up and cleaning out the inside shower and if we had neighbours we just slung a tarp over the open rear doors. When we had vans without that I used a pump up garden sprayer. Left in the sun it was plenty warm enough, and if you happen to not be a rock hard northern fell Runner (long term runners will get the reference) you can boil a kettle and pour it in.
    Last edited by Mark G; 03-03-2021 at 12:29 PM.

Master
    Ive had a 1986 VW T3 Autosleeper conversion for getting on for 20 years now. It has a 2 ring Hob, Grill 3way fridge with freezer compartment. Plus we have added a Cob :- https://www.cobb-bbq.co.uk/Products/Details/COBBR4-BK
    Which does everything an oven can do should we find a need for it.

It is a lovely simple van with no bells or whistles and it has transported us plus bikes and kit on extended trips (the longest 6mths) the length and breadth of the country and many Forays abroad.

It is dual fuel as we had a conversion done to allow it to run on LPG (Nice green Fuel) 60p a litre compared to the cost of petrol so it much cheaper to run and has essentially doubled the range between fill ups, it is easy to maintain and self service plus it is now an appreciating asset.

As said before once you have sorted a porta potty and washing/showering solutions then it`s nothing but happy days.

Really all you need in a van is a decent bed and sleeping bag, Kettle, a bit of crockery and cutlery something to cook on and a sense of adventure anything else is just baggage better to keep it simple and relax, after all the whole point of owning a van is to get away from all the irksome everday things that bug us while we are at home.

But at the end of the day we are all different and have different needs

Have fun
    Last edited by JohnK; 03-03-2021 at 03:18 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Whatever you do, don't purchase a van that is fitted to take Campingaz bottles (like the 907), these are slightly smaller than all others and not directly interchangeable if the store area was built specifically for the 907. The cost of refills is exhorbitant rip off, compared to standard Calor or other British makes.
    Looking at around £35 for 2.75l gas refil!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

My Cali takes the 907 camping gas canister and that’s been great. I wouldn’t say it’s expensive either - I can see one for £23 on google and I’m sure the last bottle I bought was a bit cheaper than that still. Mine only needs changing every 18 months to 2 years too

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Mine takes a 907 too. You can get a new cylinder for £40, or a refill for £25. I have 2 cylinders on the go and always take the fullest when going away for a long break as they can be a bit problematic to find in the UK if you run out. This is the main advantage of calor gas as you can find it everywhere.

I never managed to find a 907 refill under $32, in last 3 years. I've stopped using the gas fridge now which helps a lot and wouldn't dream of using the gas heater (if it worked!). Probably use 2 cylinders each summer, pretty much on cooking.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Probably no good for you but if you are ever passing junction 10 of the M6, Tent Hire in Walsall are only 5 minutes off the motorway and do cheap Campingaz.

We only use for cooking and probably get about 2 months out of a cylinder for 2 people
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Probably no good for you but if you are ever passing junction 10 of the M6, Tent Hire in Walsall are only 5 minutes off the motorway and do cheap Campingaz.

We only use for cooking and probably get about 2 months out of a cylinder for 2 people
    What do you mean by two months? 60 days and/or nights out in the van? I’ve only had to change my gas twice since we got the van at the very start of 2017, although I know the current gas is now very low. So what’s that? 3 canisters in 4 years? That’s with a couple of big expeditions each year and lots of weekend breaks and days out. Our heating and fridge is all on the leisure batteries and the gas just does the hobs. Maybe we don’t cook as much as others, but we sure as heck make shed loads of coffee and tea

If you have room for a 6kg propane cylinder it will last longer, a refill will cost less than the smaller cylinder, it will burn better in the cold and will be much more widely available.