Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm falling apart

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

I'm falling apart

Stiffness and aches in random parts of my legs . . . Tennis elbow . . . Intermittent numbness in a finger.

The stiffness in any part of either leg is something I have been noticing for a few months; particularly when getting up in the morning, but it can occur at any time in the day. It hasn't been having much effect on my running, although there have been a few times when I felt that I had the energy to run faster, but the legs didn't want to move any faster. This was until last Friday's jaunt up Beacon Hill, when the slight stiffness in my right thigh and hip at the start gradually got worse, and I ended up walking much of the way back. I haven't run since then.

Tennis elbow is rather ironic since I am the only member of my family who does not play tennis. I call it Gardener's Elbow, since it makes itself felt mostly when I am wielding gardening tools. I've had it for a few days now.

The numb finger is the fourth on the left hand; I have had this a few times before (and I haven't kept a record of which finger was affected in the past). It starts for no apparent reason, and then disappears after a few days, but not before making the finger appear alarmingly blue on occasions.

Anyway, I don't want to give the impression that I've turned into a grumpy old man. I'm still very thankful that I am actually in pretty good condition for a 62-year-old. And the leg stiffness is probably me reaping the reward of decades of carelessness: starting my training runs at the same foolishly fast speed that I start races, not warming down afterwards (my priorities are always: 1. Get in the shower; 2. Get some food inside me). Possibly another factor is being more sedentary since lockdown (no cycling to work, no moving around campus to lectures and tutorials).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Stiffness and aches in random parts of my legs . . . Tennis elbow . . . Intermittent numbness in a finger.

The stiffness in any part of either leg is something I have been noticing for a few months; particularly when getting up in the morning, but it can occur at any time in the day. It hasn't been having much effect on my running, although there have been a few times when I felt that I had the energy to run faster, but the legs didn't want to move any faster. This was until last Friday's jaunt up Beacon Hill, when the slight stiffness in my right thigh and hip at the start gradually got worse, and I ended up walking much of the way back. I haven't run since then.

Tennis elbow is rather ironic since I am the only member of my family who does not play tennis. I call it Gardener's Elbow, since it makes itself felt mostly when I am wielding gardening tools. I've had it for a few days now.

The numb finger is the fourth on the left hand; I have had this a few times before (and I haven't kept a record of which finger was affected in the past). It starts for no apparent reason, and then disappears after a few days, but not before making the finger appear alarmingly blue on occasions.

Anyway, I don't want to give the impression that I've turned into a grumpy old man. I'm still very thankful that I am actually in pretty good condition for a 62-year-old. And the leg stiffness is probably me reaping the reward of decades of carelessness: starting my training runs at the same foolishly fast speed that I start races, not warming down afterwards (my priorities are always: 1. Get in the shower; 2. Get some food inside me). Possibly another factor is being more sedentary since lockdown (no cycling to work, no moving around campus to lectures and tutorials).
    I too have been falling apart, but probably for years. To me though its a cycle of falling apart, re-building and then falling apart again. With different bits of me at any given time in different parts of the falling apart/re-building cycle. A bit like Trigger's broom, I'm just about managing to bash on

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    I too have been falling apart, but probably for years. To me though its a cycle of falling apart, re-building and then falling apart again. With different bits of me at any given time in different parts of the falling apart/re-building cycle. A bit like Trigger's broom, I'm just about managing to bash on
    and each time you rebuild, there's a noticeable level below he previous rebuild.
    I'm currently rebuilding after a bad calf strain January and the whole of February off running and just getting out doing 3-4 flat miles is uncomfortable.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Have finally given in and had to admit that my body is basically falling apart. Any stretches/strengthening just seems to aggravate injuries new or old and I feel like it's going nowhere. Been struggling since the beginning of the year and managing to run throughout although recently down to one short run a week. Now decided to knock that on the head and try and recuperate with the hope that I can be fit enough to start the LDMT even if I end up walking it. There are some good things about growing old (just had my second vaccination) but equally some pretty crap ones and injuries and recovery seem to be one of them. Ho humm...

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Have finally given in and had to admit that my body is basically falling apart. Any stretches/strengthening just seems to aggravate injuries new or old and I feel like it's going nowhere. Been struggling since the beginning of the year and managing to run throughout although recently down to one short run a week. Now decided to knock that on the head and try and recuperate with the hope that I can be fit enough to start the LDMT even if I end up walking it. There are some good things about growing old (just had my second vaccination) but equally some pretty crap ones and injuries and recovery seem to be one of them. Ho humm...
    Sorry to hear that Pete, but I guess many on here can readily empathize re the aging issues if that's any consolation. Whenever I've had a period where I've had to stop running, due to injury, or reduce the quantity (awaiting MRI results, like now) I've found indoor rowing (can be either gentle LSD or hell-for-leather, whatever suits)helps with the cardio-vasc maintenance and fell walking assists with the endurance sustaining, aesthetics and mental health support. Best of all, is of course being in the great outdoors as much as poss. All the best.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Sorry to hear that Pete, but I guess many on here can readily empathize re the aging issues if that's any consolation. Whenever I've had a period where I've had to stop running, due to injury, or reduce the quantity (awaiting MRI results, like now) I've found indoor rowing (can be either gentle LSD or hell-for-leather, whatever suits)helps with the cardio-vasc maintenance and fell walking assists with the endurance sustaining, aesthetics and mental health support. Best of all, is of course being in the great outdoors as much as poss. All the best.
    Thanks - appreciate the support as things are not going well at the moment.
    Thankfully, walking is ok so hoping to manage a week of easy walking in Snowdonia/Anglesey next week. A mountain top or 2 would be great but just getting out there will be good for the soul.

Thankfully, walking is ok so hoping to manage a week of easy walking in Snowdonia/Anglesey next week. A mountain top or 2 would be great but just getting out there will be good for the soul.
    Anglesey and Snowdonia will likely be a great tonic. And all that sea-breeze ozone to inhale - perfect. I think the experiences and coping strategies for us 'older' athletes is a much overlooked area - there's a book opportunity in there somewhere. Maybe a series of lecture tours, telly interviews, sponsorships (Vapour-rub and the like). The only role models we seem to be offered so far are TV repeats of 'Last of the Summer Wine"
    Am Yisrael Chai

I think the experiences and coping strategies for us 'older' athletes is a much overlooked area
    Good call. I remember when I was in my 30s and nearly always injury-free, a decent V50 runner telling me that in the vet categories, it's not about who's the best runner, it's about who manages their various injuries best.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    If it's any encouragement to you, I have put in an entry to a fell race within ten weeks of starting this thread.

The only role models we seem to be offered so far are TV repeats of 'Last of the Summer Wine"
    In fell-running, our role models are Ken Taylor, Wendy Dodds, etc. The problem is when we start wondering why we ourselves can't emulate their achievements.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Good call. I remember when I was in my 30s and nearly always injury-free, a decent V50 runner telling me that in the vet categories, it's not about who's the best runner, it's about who manages their various injuries best.
    It's very noticeable that there is a sharp reduction in numbers of competitors in fell races from the M/W50 to the M/W60 categories. I am getting the impression that it is around the age of 60 that the body typically starts getting fed up with being hauled up and down hills at high speed (or any other comparable exertions; my wife is saying similar things as a tennis player).
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I think the experiences and coping strategies for us 'older' athletes is a much overlooked area - there's a book opportunity in there somewhere.
    Well I would certainly buy that!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    If it's any encouragement to you, I have put in an entry to a fell race within ten weeks of starting this thread.

In fell-running, our role models are Ken Taylor, Wendy Dodds, etc. The problem is when we start wondering why we ourselves can't emulate their achievements.

It's very noticeable that there is a sharp reduction in numbers of competitors in fell races from the M/W50 to the M/W60 categories. I am getting the impression that it is around the age of 60 that the body typically starts getting fed up with being hauled up and down hills at high speed (or any other comparable exertions; my wife is saying similar things as a tennis player).
    Anthony, I've not hung up the inov-8s just yet but as you say, having hit the ripe old age of 55, I've come to the realisation that my body really can't sustain the level of abuse it has had for the past 30 odd years (and arguably longer if you don't include the 'lost' years!)
    I think I've known this a while but hadn't really considered it would be as sharp a decline.
    Anyway a period of rest and relaxation is no bad thing and a holiday is a good time to take stock and reset.
    I have every intention of getting a few races in this year - definitely the LDMT for one
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast