Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Union Jack

I do also l like the North Macedonia flag but wouldn't want to see it first thing in the morning after a skinfull.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

I've got one. The real McCoy, with proper wooden toggles and the rest - none of your cheap nasty imitations.

I ...erm... 'liberated it' (don't tell Llani) on Silver Jubilee weekend, back in 1977, at the tender age of 17. I was celebrating HM's reign with a group of school mates, and we spent the night/early morning, in a certain industrial market town in west Wiltshire, getting tanked up on Wadworths 6X, washed down with 1066 (that was the specific gravity!) beer (Whitworths?) sold only in 1/2 pints. As we all lived in a couple of villages, 6 and 8 miles to the south of the town, we staggered home together as dawn was breaking, on what turned out to be a very sunny morn.

On the outskirts of the town there used to be a local Agricultural business (massive grain silos, tractors for sale, and the rest), which had half a dozen fluttering flag poles. As a dare, I was challenged to go and get one as a trophy. It meant a wire chain-link fence climb, a commando crawl past the security guard's hut, and then a tense (but giggly) lowering of the flag. You'd be surprised at how squeaky those flag-pole pulleys are. We made our escape initially along the local railway line, stumbling and singing, wrapped in the flag, Olympic winners style. Halcyon days.

Of the four of us, two are no longer alive. The flag, which I keep folded in a draw, evokes memories of what seems like another world now, every time I take it out. It still harbours that fresh cotton, new tent-like smell, even after all these years.
    Am Yisrael Chai

[QUOTE=Mossdog;672847]I've got one. The real McCoy, with proper wooden toggles and the rest - none of your cheap nasty imitations.

Great story Mossdog, weren't the 70's great!

However, I hate to disappoint you after all these years but the ones with "proper wooden toggles" were the cheap and nasty imitations.

The real McCoy's were/are adorned with brass fittings.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Is this an opportunity to tell the swiss flag joke and it be topical?

What's your favourite thing about Switzerland?

I don't know, but the flag is a big plus.

I quite like the US flag because it keeps changing as states join and leave. There are about 20 versions of them throughout history. It makes me wonder what the next change will be - Puerto Rico joining? Or Texas leaving?

[QUOTE=Llani Boy;672851]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    However, I hate to disappoint you after all these years but the ones with "proper wooden toggles" were the cheap and nasty imitations.

The real McCoy's were/are adorned with brass fittings.
    Beg to differ Llani. For attachment of a 'proper' flag to a tall flag pole, for long-term use, in the traditional manner, either to an externally or internally running ha;yard you need a rope and wooden toggle systems. Too much metal up there causes too much noise.

Brass rings are placed into flags and used for connecting a snap -hooks, or flag clips, system, typically on for smaller sized flags, on much shorter poles, or staffs, particularly used on yachts.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    What's your favourite thing about Switzerland?

I don't know, but the flag is a big plus.
    Feel better now ?
    Am Yisrael Chai

“Slightly” over egging the pudding....

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    “Slightly” over egging the pudding....

'in for a penny...'
    Am Yisrael Chai