Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robot lawnmower

Robot lawnmower

I love taking care of our garden. But hey, it takes always a very huge amount of time that maybe I better invest doing something else. So, I'm considering buying a robot lawnmower. But they are very expensive.
    You have one? Comments?

Companies are capitalising on people's laziness, it's the "can't someone else do it" mentality; Uber Eats, Deliveroo, Husqvarna robot mowers. Unless your lawn is flatter than a granite counter with no sticks lurking in it or dog toys it won't work for long before knocking into limp back to the shed mode.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master
    I have a close neighbour that has a Husqvarna and he swears by it and to be honest his very large lawn is looking a lot better than I have seen it before, to all intents and purposes it would appear that the algorithms it has programmed in are are pretty concise and once set up it seems to be a case of set it and forget it, maybe with a brief check on your mobile app that all is well and get on with something else, while the mower happily gets on with keeping the lawn trimmed.

That said I wouldn`t have one as I prefer a hands on approach and have far better things that I can spend money on.
    Last edited by JohnK; 08-04-2021 at 01:38 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Companies are capitalising on people's laziness, it's the "can't someone else do it" mentality; Uber Eats, Deliveroo, Husqvarna robot mowers. Unless your lawn is flatter than a granite counter with no sticks lurking in it or dog toys it won't work for long before knocking into limp back to the shed mode.
    My opinion is very different here.
    If by buying stuff the same work gets done costing me less time, it's not that I end up working less, rather I work the same amount of time but more work gets done. Or otherwise indeed I spend less time working in the garden but more time running cycling family career whatever. I don't call this laziness. And I don't see companies as evil if they exploit it for profits.

It's a good example of conspicuous comsumption. Conspicuous consumption is always a precursor to civilisation collapse.

We're doomed, Cap'n.

They can send one to my house. Let's see how it gets on with tree roots and spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Tree roots and spark plugs.
    Every garden needs a theme. I think yours might be unique.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar
    I got one for Christmas for the back garden. Set her (Mow Mowlem, obvs) up a few weeks back. It's fantastic. Aside from anything else, it's the garden equivalent of a log fire, (legally permitted numbers of) people in the garden, talking, drinking, but to a man (or woman) eyes locked on Mow as she trundles around the garden. Mesmerising.

As to cost, agree that it needs to be traded against how much of your valuable time it saves, but also, got a cracking deal from a local Homebase closing down. Brill.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Mowlem not Farah? Perhaps that's the upgraded model that cuts more quickly.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar
    The double Mow-ness just reinforced the point. Though in retrospect, I did miss a trick, given Sir Mo's trademark Mo(w)bot.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk