Thread: Latest research

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill

Latest research

I still get the weekly staff newsletter email from Loughborough University (although I retired last year). In these emails, they like to highlight the latest research done at the University. This week's email included the headline:

New study finds people eat more the night before exercise

Well, who would have thought it? Stuffing yourself with pasta, flapjacks or whatever on the evening before the Wasdale Race: how unexpected! Although it turns out that rather than simply asking fell runners (or any other runners) what they ate the night before a race, they actually did a controlled experiment: https://www.lboro.ac.uk/internal/new...fore-exercise/

I also enjoyed the next headline in the email:

Ageing expert shares tips to supercharge your brain in new book

It turns out that they are not referring to the fact that the expert is getting older; rather that he is an expert on ageing.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

If you're doing it 'properly' you should probably have a good trough 2 nights before the race and a good lunch the day before the race, with a lightish meal the immediate night before. Otherwise you run the risk of starting with a load of food sat in your gut and feeling bloated, especially if it's an early start (think 4am BG start).

That said I know people who have had some excellent results off a big fish & chips the night before and that's often my go too.

Before my only marathon I tried a carb cut-down for a few days earlier in the week (nothing as advanced as some people do) before pigging out in the last 3 days and felt bloody magic. I was more controlling in what I ate the night before (chicken and rice based) - sometimes when I stay over at my parents' before a race we get lasagne, baked spud and garlic bread and the triple carb can lead to a very heavy feeling on race day.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    If you're doing it 'properly' you should probably have a good trough 2 nights before the race and a good lunch the day before the race, with a lightish meal the immediate night before. Otherwise you run the risk of starting with a load of food sat in your gut and feeling bloated, especially if it's an early start (think 4am BG start).

That said I know people who have had some excellent results off a big fish & chips the night before and that's often my go too.

Before my only marathon I tried a carb cut-down for a few days earlier in the week (nothing as advanced as some people do) before pigging out in the last 3 days and felt bloody magic. I was more controlling in what I ate the night before (chicken and rice based) - sometimes when I stay over at my parents' before a race we get lasagne, baked spud and garlic bread and the triple carb can lead to a very heavy feeling on race day.
    A KWL breakfast is 3 croissants and a petrol station coffee.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent