Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brian Clough Ken Dodd thing

Brian Clough Ken Dodd thing

There we go...seems like a long time since anyone discussed a race on here!

Two problems i can see there straight away, 1) following the path off Dodd into the valley to the right in poor weather, and 2) screwing up and losing time in Wolf Crags.

Terms like 'moss' on a map mean bogs, and that depression below Wolf Crags could drop you to a walk if it's very wet...like 'The Pewitts' wet, and that added to the time you might lose dropping through the crags on a straight line will punish your result. Assuming i can see anything on the day and it's not a pea soup, i'll be staying high and swinging over to the right then down. You could even go further right if you want to avoid a contouring descent, which may naturally drag you off into Mother Sike.

Not that i'll be racing too hard, of course. I've got 2 runs to push my distance by 3mls and my climbing legs by 1000'. I make the climb 2850' and the distance 9.05m. The last CP is on the coach road corner, right on the blue dot.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 26-04-2021 at 07:59 PM.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Famous last words... but i'm not looking at this as a navigational minefield... obviously care needed but it's a flat-out race as far as i'm concerned.

My issue is the sheer amount of runnable ground... would much prefer that climb spread out into several sections, to give me something to attack in the second half of the race, rather than all in the first few miles... but then again i enjoyed Fairfield Horseshow which had vaguely similar stats and a long run-off from halfway.

It's sunny. No rain 🌧️

I'm sorry to be missing this... had an entry but got my call-up for the covid vaccine so back in the Midlands.

Good Luck MrB

Cheers to the team of marshals today, the weather looked to be taking a turn for the worse as i dibbed on Dodd Fell. I stuck to my plan and settled in for a steady one up Clough Head, i was probably in the last quarter of the field. Slightly faster down the col and up to CP2, but trying to do as much fast walking as i could. Nice little leg stretcher down to CP3 trying to reduce the deficit a bit, disappointed to see the line i'd chosen off the fell to the coach road corner was flagged!!.

Settled in for a tempo run in down the coach road, but in my haste to claw back time i made the mother of all route choice errors. At about 355 227, a point on the coach road overlooked by Wolf Crags, i could see the road looping over to the left and spotted a spit of land leading into what looked like a runnable shortcut. Ergo, i boldly went where nobody else had been silly enough to go before and it soon went wrong. Beginning with the drain from Mother Sike which was a steep down and up and leading to a nasty traverse of deep vegitation over to Mosedale Beck; which was in half flood. After picking a thoroughly unsuitable crossing point i hauled myself out by my fingernails and began a grim slog over what reminded of The Dead Marshes from The Lord of the Rings trilogy, just without the bodies, save for my own exhausted corpse. I was dropped to an uphill walk over tussocks and soaking mossy pog instantly; as i looked up i could see the guy i had been following trotting over the brow on the hill. That pretty much finished my race, it was a jog in.

Today i was accused of cheating. My accuser, the man in front of me at the last turn shortly to be relegated to the man behind me at the funnel was very vocal about this alleged infraction. My accuser had chosen to take a longer route on the final bend around the end of a pile of gravel, whilst i turned 90 after the flag/cone and went over it. This meant i drew level on the final straight and outsprinted him. "Cheating!!", he cried as i sailed past him. If he was so sure of this, heaven only knows why he didn't immediately report it to the marshals at the finish. I wanted to invite him to do so, but i bit my lip. You don't get this kind of carrying-on on the short distance scene, it's every man for himself.

Just seen the provisional results...the horror...at least i'll smash my PB next time.

Your split from Great Dodd down to the coach road was incredible!

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Your split from Great Dodd down to the coach road was incredible!
    It's a bit of a headscratcher isn't it!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I've just had a look at these results. It looks like Lesley Malarkey isn't having it all her own way in the W70 class these days: beaten by both Wendy Dodds and Linda Lord. I hope I'm still racing as hard as these women when I get to that age.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    I've just had a look at these results. It looks like Lesley Malarkey isn't having it all her own way in the W70 class these days: beaten by both Wendy Dodds and Linda Lord. I hope I'm still racing as hard as these women when I get to that age.
    I am - or was - regularly beaten by these three, particularly Wendy in anything long. They all really push themselves on the uphills, and are very brave on the descents.