Thread: Hamstring nightmare injury

Hamstring nightmare injury

What's your worst experience with hamstring injury?
    I've been suffering now for 4+ months. I jog 1.5 miles, when I feel it's good, at a pace that would embarass any obese smoker and then pain for the next 24-36 hr.😭😢.
    Maybe I should even stop that.

Luckily cycling ok. And walking not too bad.
    I'm very very frustrated. I've had it before in recent years but never this long. Muscles were very fatigued when it started but never sprinted, and always stretched.😢😭😢😭☹️☹️

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    What's your worst experience with hamstring injury?
    I've been suffering now for 4+ months. I jog 1.5 miles, when I feel it's good, at a pace that would embarass any obese smoker and then pain for the next 24-36 hr.����.
    Maybe I should even stop that.

Luckily cycling ok. And walking not too bad.
    I'm very very frustrated. I've had it before in recent years but never this long. Muscles were very fatigued when it started but never sprinted, and always stretched.��������☹️☹️
    You are breaking the "afternoon" rule - if, after training, the pain is worse the following afternoon, then you are doing too much and need to back off. It is allowed to be worse the following morning.

Are you sure you have the diagnosis correct?

Stretching does not prevent injury, strengthening does. Pain free stretching can be appropriate after injury to prevent shortening, and if the sport in question involves extreme positions - hurdles, gymnastics.

That sounds terrible. I hope you can find out what's causing it and sort it out.

Do you stretch after running or before? And where's the pain? Is it on both sides? It would seem strange to injure both to the same degree.

I have a long history of tight muscles/hamstrings and have to do a lot of stretching, but they're never sore - I just can't touch my toes if I don't keep up with my stretches.

Have you see a physio?

When seeing my physio yesterday for continued shoulder manipulations I mentioned to her that I was experiencing soreness/tenderness which I thought might be hamstring related. I do plenty of stretching and the best way I could describe where the problem was was that it was just under, and to the outside, of my sit bones.

She was straight on the case and after putting me through a few Pilates moves and a bit of prodding reckons that it is probably my glutes not firing. I have been told this before and have, like many runners do, neglected them. She concurs with Noel that it is probably not an injury with the soreness being on both sides.

She has given me some exercises to strengthen them. I am also waiting to join a Pilates class again as, as I have said before, my longest injury/niggle free period was when doing regular Pilates.

Hope you can get it sorted soon Gambette.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Llany boy, this is interesting.
    In fact another injury I experienced in the past, and it came again when the present hamstring started last Xmas, was patella tendon. I though it was from excessive cycling. But when I sorted patella tendon in the past, a physio concluded it originated from gluteus, and gave me gluteus exercises. Now I went back religiously to the same gluteus exercises. Not sure if they are going to help the hamstring, but for sure the already solved the knee.

My gluteus exercises right now are bridges and hip drop.
    I used to do lunges too, I will resume as soon as my hamstring allow them again.
    At worst a waste of time. At best they help with injury. I can't see them doing any harm. They "feel" effective.

What gluteus exercises do you do?
    Last edited by Gambatte; 07-05-2021 at 03:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    Llany boy, this is interesting.
    In fact another injury I experienced in the past, and it came again when the present hamstring started last Xmas, was patella tendon. I though it was from excessive cycling. But when I sorted patella tendon in the past, a physio concluded it originated from gluteus, and gave me gluteus exercises. Now I went back religiously to the same gluteus exercises. Not sure if they are going to help the hamstring, but for sure the already solved the knee.

My gluteus exercises right now are bridges and hip drop.
    I used to do lunges too, I will resume as soon as my hamstring allow them again.
    At worst a waste of time. At best they help with injury. I can't see them doing any harm. They "feel" effective.

What gluteus exercises do you do?
    Apologies for not replying sooner Gambatte, but I forgot!

The only exercises I am doing at the moment is bridging and clams on advice of the physio. However I am doing the bridging slightly differently than I used to in that my bum is only just leaving the ground after I have fixed my core. Previously I was lifting my bum higher but she says that that can end up with the hamstrings engaging which is not what I want.
    When I do the first few it feels as if nothing is happening but it soon kicks in.

One of the reasons of wanting to get back to a Pilates class is that I am hopeless at isolating different muscles/muscle groups and I find a good instructor makes it easier to get things right!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Thank you