Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 71 to 80 of 80

Thread: Nobby newby biking questions

  1. #71
    Master
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Posts
    1,755
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    11 lbs! Do any bikes weigh that little. Is the default set to unicycle!
    Presumably it was supposed to be 11 kg. Which is not that far off Fellbeast's 26 lbs.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

  2. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    On the other end of the scale, I know someone who was at least 5 stone overweight, but changed some components on his mountain bike to titanium to save the extra few grams.

    He was aware of the humour of the situation.
    There is a column in every Cycling Weekly: Acts Of Cycling Stupidity.

    It has been running for years.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  3. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    667
    Never in the annals of sport has there ever been a sport where you're more able to look a complete nob than cycling. Thats my expert opinon

    I think the best (I mean worst) example I saw, a few years ago now, was at a triathlon at Lake Bassenthwaite (I was there supporting my daughter who was doing the swim leg for a team). A chap, who must have at least weighed 18 stone, with a massive beer gut, and wearing a full lycra shorts and top combo, was on what to my then completely untrained eye looked to be a really really expensive and light weight road bike. The killer though was his cycling hat, a full on white aerodynamic job with a long tadpole like tail. Jesus, the seconds he will have shaved off with that helmet....

  4. #74
    I've mentioned it before on another thread but there was once a spoof quiz in one of the magazines to help you find out of you were a triathlete/poser or just a normal sort of person (ie fell runner mentality). It went something like:-
    Q: Are your sunglasses:-
    A) Oakley tinted titanium razer's?
    B) Proper cycling sunglasses?
    C) Boots own make?
    D) What sunglasses?

    And: Are your handlebars:-
    A) One piece aerobars?
    B) Clip on aerobars?
    C) Drops?
    D) At the front?

    And so on. I particularly liked one that referred to kit, from one piece lycra trisuit to what you wore for PE at school.

  5. #75
    Master Travs's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Coventry
    Posts
    3,728
    I did Peris a few years ago when there was a big triathlon in town. Everyone except for me at the accomm were triathletes... when i told them i was actually doing a fell-race they barely acknowledged me again.

    There is a prominent forumite who's running club is combined with a triathlon club, who told me at a race in no uncertain terms, that "all the triathletes in the club are w*****s...."


  6. #76
    Senior Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Flat SE Staffordshire
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Never in the annals of sport has there ever been a sport where you're more able to look a complete nob than cycling. Thats my expert opinon

    I think the best (I mean worst) example I saw, a few years ago now, was at a triathlon at Lake Bassenthwaite (I was there supporting my daughter who was doing the swim leg for a team). A chap, who must have at least weighed 18 stone, with a massive beer gut, and wearing a full lycra shorts and top combo, was on what to my then completely untrained eye looked to be a really really expensive and light weight road bike. The killer though was his cycling hat, a full on white aerodynamic job with a long tadpole like tail. Jesus, the seconds he will have shaved off with that helmet....
    Actually, the aero helmets do shave quite a lot of seconds off, and it is probably the part of cycling I hate the most that you can, to a certain degree, 'buy performance'.

    The other thing I really dislike about cycling is that on flat roads, (as in your average time-trial), because you are not constantly raising and lowering your weight there is no penalty for being overweight, even obese. Some years ago there was a woman, whose name has escaped me, who had a big belly, and looked obese to me, who won of the British time-trial championships

  7. #77
    Senior Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Flat SE Staffordshire
    Posts
    449
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I did Peris a few years ago when there was a big triathlon in town. Everyone except for me at the accomm were triathletes... when i told them i was actually doing a fell-race they barely acknowledged me again.

    There is a prominent forumite who's running club is combined with a triathlon club, who told me at a race in no uncertain terms, that "all the triathletes in the club are w*****s...."

    Having swum for a club, cycled for clubs, and run for clubs, I always try to talk to triathletes. I'm disappointed to report, however, that I have had little success; all the ones I have met seem to think they're above me.

    Or maybe they're just intelligent

  8. #78
    I had a polite disagreement with a triathlon organiser. Q:Can I buy the best possible bike to improve my bike time? Answer: Yes, absolutely spend as much as you like on the fastest bike you can afford.
    Q; Can I buy an expensive wetsuit to improve my swim time? A: Absolutely, get the best and fastest wetsuit you can.
    Q; Can I use my navigational skills and ability to run across rough and steep terrain to pick my own lines between checkpoints? A: Absolutely not.

  9. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I've mentioned it before on another thread but there was once a spoof quiz in one of the magazines to help you find out of you were a triathlete/poser or just a normal sort of person (ie fell runner mentality). It went something like:-
    Q: Are your sunglasses:-
    A) Oakley tinted titanium razer's?
    B) Proper cycling sunglasses?
    C) Boots own make?
    D) What sunglasses?

    And: Are your handlebars:-
    A) One piece aerobars?
    B) Clip on aerobars?
    C) Drops?
    D) At the front?

    And so on. I particularly liked one that referred to kit, from one piece lycra trisuit to what you wore for PE at school.
    Wonderful!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

  10. #80
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    South South Pennines
    Posts
    239
    Iím doing well on this one C and C - Lidl rather than Boots though!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •