Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Nobby newby biking questions

And.....Down he goes! Slippery slope/Rabbit hole Ahoy!! Watch out wallet!
    Seriously though Stolly, its great that you're joining in the cycling community. I hover on the periphery, never quite accepting the fact that my fell racing days are over but I do enjoy it. It takes more time than running but its probably better for us at our age!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Thanks Wheeze. I am now cranking up a fell running fight back and, after a slow start, I think I’m now back in the game.

That said I’m sort of aiming for a 4:3 biking to running system - say four bike rides and three runs (or vice versa) each week. There are plenty of rip snorting hills round here to spice up the bike rides and right now my rides are probably tougher than the runs

Having thought about the bike upgrade, and based on feedback here and some on-line research, I’ve put that on the back burner for now. I’m now not sure if the change will make enough difference over my current set up. And I guess I’ll have a few more pedal strike issues to cope with too. Mind you I think the bike would look fantastic in a slightly lower profile, chunkier tyre mode so it’s still a strong possibility at some point

Oh and thanks Marco for your comprehensive reply

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Mind you I think the bike would look fantastic in a slightly lower profile, chunkier tyre mode so it’s still a strong possibility at some point
    Fashion over function, certainly on that slippery slope now...
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Tee Hee....we could post all sorts of nonsense on here to prise open his wallet!! I hear graphene coated chains are now an absolute must for clean changing when using the Shimano Big Boy cassette....
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

He'll be shaving his legs next!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Mr B, I’m assuming that watts generation is where it’s at. I notice that I get an average power figure on strava that’s given in watts. Watts that all about? I’m guessing the bigger it is, the greater my power
    The Watt is the SI unit of Power, it represents work done at an instant in time as opposed to kWh which represents a stored quantity(kW) released over a given timeframe(h). Cycling is all about the amount of power your legs can generate, the average cyclist generates about double what i do. Running is more complicated because gait and balls on the descents are involved.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    The Watt is the SI unit of Power, it represents work done at an instant in time as opposed to kWh which represents a stored quantity(kW) released over a given timeframe(h). Cycling is all about the amount of power your legs can generate, the average cyclist generates about double what i do. Running is more complicated because gait and balls on the descents are involved.
    Yeah I looked it up on strava. I realised that the calculation also took into account my weight (which is broadly accurate on strava) and the bike’s weight. I’d only loosely set up my bike on strava and it was giving a default weight of 11 pounds whereas my bike actually weights 26

11 lbs! Do any bikes weigh that little. Is the default set to unicycle!

I have a friend who back when we did a few time trials flatly refused to do anything to upgrade his bike. He reasoned that any improvement in performance was irrelevant unless he could put it down to improvements in fitness, not the bike. Fair and sensible point.