Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobby newby biking questions

I’m now hooked and can foresee a mountain bike on the horizon at some point

On the pedal front I soon ditched the toe clips and pedals that came with the bike but I’m not a fan of cycling booties and now have spiked mtb pedals. Those combined with soft soled Adidas five ten trainers and I’m well happy with my pedal grip. I just have to stop snagging my calves on the bastards whenever I get off to open a gate

I use the spiky pedals and trainers on my gravel bike, I do feel very confident in them especially when on the rough trails up here (which are more like MTB riding in places). When my new road bike arrives I shall have to purchase some proper cycling clogs and give them a go.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Correct

It is also worth saying that reducing the tyre size significantly, (such as swapping 40mm tyres for 28s), will also noticeably lower your gears
    On tarmac, yes and probably ok for hard pack trails and gravel but you need the extra width and tread area on the more gnarly stuff. I'd go low 30s
    but you need to be a good bike handler on anything narrow on rough bridalways.

As if on cue...Cycling Weekly this week, apart from reviewing the medium priced £7000 Lapierre Aircode DRS 8.0 and a £299 Helmet (HEXR), has an interesting article on chain rings and sprockets.

SRAM produces a 12 speed cassette including a 10-tooth socket and is now releasing chain rings to the public with up to 56 teeth. Because the smaller sockets are less efficient than those closer to the spokes there is a case that using a really big front ring means you can keep away from the smaller and less efficent sprockets but achieve the same ratios. It's the straight chain thing.

It's all very interesting but given that I don't spend much time in my 50/11 I think I'll save my pennies.

Other news is that Turbolito now produce an inner tube with a chip that sends your tyre pressure to your mobile phone - but at £41 a tube I think I can live without that as well.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 08-05-2021 at 07:57 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I noticed a 58-11 at the giro today. I doubt I could even turn that over downhill....

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I noticed a 58-11 at the giro today. I doubt I could even turn that over downhill....
    Yes so did I!

But later I wondered "Did I really see that on the screen..?"
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 08-05-2021 at 09:22 PM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post

SRAM produces a 12 speed cassette including a 10-tooth socket and is now releasing chain rings to the public with up to 56 teeth.
    Presumably when you've pedalled all the way down from Greenhow to Dibble's Bridge in your 56/10 gear, you can be sure that when you hit the bridge parapet you will make a clean landing in the fields on the far side of the river.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Presumably when you've pedalled all the way down from Greenhow to Dibble's Bridge in your 56/10 gear, you can be sure that when you hit the bridge parapet you will make a clean landing in the fields on the far side of the river.
    Alas Anthony the sturdy steel-mesh fencing erected above the parapet means you now bounce back into the road looking like a fly after it has been swatted.

Which makes life much easier for the recovery team.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 08-05-2021 at 09:32 PM.

Another hour spent on WH Smiths on the Grove?

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    As if on cue...Cycling Weekly this week,

I've got a TDF (Tour De Fer - some similarities to the CDF but more touring orientated) and I really like it. My other bike has a compact 105 chainset and I was told it's fine to cross the chain from big ring to big sprocket as it was designed to be able to handle that - I took that with a big pinch of salt and don't. But I have found myself occasionally losing count and finding the chain at a greater angle than I would normally like without any obvious Ill effects (except maybe not immediately apparent wear and tear).