Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nobby newby biking questions

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I've got a TDF (Tour De Fer - some similarities to the CDF but more touring orientated) and I really like it. My other bike has a compact 105 chainset and I was told it's fine to cross the chain from big ring to big sprocket as it was designed to be able to handle that - I took that with a big pinch of salt and don't. But I have found myself occasionally losing count and finding the chain at a greater angle than I would normally like without any obvious Ill effects (except maybe not immediately apparent wear and tear).
    I think chains are an engineering miracle. Obviously they stretch and I've just changed my SRAM on the ADV after 1400 miles but at £20 - who cares?, but more than once as I have been standing on the pedals inching up a 25% climb, forty miles from home I have prayed "chain, chain please don't let me down now!
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    When Franco Moser ...
    Francesco!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

If you want to see how fast you can go downhill, if you spin a gear of 52 x 13 up to 180rpm, (which is considered to be as fast as you can possibly pedal), on 700c x 25mm tyres you will reach around 57mph. Around 35 years ago, sadly before accurate speed measuring equipment was available, I achieved something similar on the A52 Ashbourne - Derby road riding one metre behind an Irish fish van (which looked more like a removal van) with a very bad gearbox. It was great until the road went upwards and I lost the tow and got hit by the turbulence you would expect from 3 metres behind something of that size going over 50mph. Not recommended

In short, stick to 52 x 13 or 48 x 12 and spin your legs, (which will help your downhill fellrunning technique), and save your pennies
    Being 100 years old I have stopped chasing fish vans and just want to get up climbs. The smallest gear on my road bike (say 19 lb) is 34/29 and on the ADVenture bike is 32/32 (but 24 lb). The ADV feels clunky and is heavier and I don't really like riding it (I really bought it as my winter bike) but I have concluded that the lower gearing means that even with the extra weight and clunky tyres it should provide an easier ride up steep hills. Pity really because it just doesn't cut quite the same dash as the Italian! (I know I should do a timed comparison but my remaining time on this earth is short!).
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 09-05-2021 at 04:16 PM.

I knew it wouldn't be long before this thread became a new tributary of the grand tidal estuary of factual cycling chat that is 'todays bike ride'.

As i've been skimming i've noticed someone saying its ok to strain the chain on a 105. Personally, i'd throw the lot in the bin and go SRAM as i've been woefully disappointed with how 105 shifts; especially on the rings. I could scarcely believe my senses when the weather warmed up and i got back on the Colnago which is fitted with DA7800, it was like going from a Trabant to a 5 Series.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Any news on the TdeY after Mr Verity's surprise departure?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Crossing the aligator and piranha infested river Orinoco (aka Austwick Beck) on today's 15 miler from home. Note my nobby saddle bag, now at long last carrying a spare inner tube (now that I knew which one to buy )

Untitled

Bloody hell, that came out big

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Bloody hell, that came out big
    If you've got it - why not flaunt it?

Great photo. I'd be on the hoods going through water though but having said that I've not got your biceps!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I knew it wouldn't be long before this thread became a new tributary of the grand tidal estuary of factual cycling chat that is 'todays bike ride'.

As i've been skimming i've noticed someone saying its ok to strain the chain on a 105. Personally, i'd throw the lot in the bin and go SRAM as i've been woefully disappointed with how 105 shifts; especially on the rings. I could scarcely believe my senses when the weather warmed up and i got back on the Colnago which is fitted with DA7800, it was like going from a Trabant to a 5 Series.
    I didn't suggest it was OK to strain the chain, just that I'd been told it was but didn't believe it. My 105 is far far superior to the Ultegra I had on an earlier road bike but that's to be expected about a quarter of a century later!