Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Nobby newby biking questions

And just remember, the old N+1 equation has been updated to D-1 !!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    So continuing with my daft questions, and having now spent getting on for 500 miles 'gaining' experience on my new gravel bike, I'm now thinking of adding to my biking repertoire with an alternative, gnarlier wheel/tyre/rear cassette set up that I can pop on and off, depending on my intended route for the day. To be fair the bike is already pretty gnarly, but I like the idea of being able to mod/twat about with the bike at my whim.

I appreciate that most of you guys are more geared up for pure road biking stuff but any steerage you can give me would be great either way. I don't want a mountain bike by the way (at least not yet anyway) but do like the idea of making my existing bike more flexible

My new set up would be with 650b wheels (27.5 inch), wider tyres and maybe a lower set of of rear wheel cogs

My bike frame is 'medium' and with the 700c wheels attached I'm just tall enough to fit comfortably and stand over the crossbar without knackering myself. I've got everything set up well and am really comfortable in the saddle. I am quite small though, at 5 ft 7, so I figure that the 650b wheels will seem a super fit for me, giving me small drop in height and making for a more compact unit. With their smaller circumference they'll also effectively act as a lower gearing I'd guess. I have quick release wheel fittings so I'll need to make sure the new wheels are compatible with this (and maybe need some kind of QR conversion kit?)

My existing tyres are 40mm but, with the new wheel size, I'm thinking of some 42mm gravel bike tyres. I think the bike will have sufficient clearance for these (the spec says up to 50mm on the front and 44mm on the back) but I understand that tyres can come up wider than their spec so I may have to be careful with tyre choice

I now understand a point that had originally appeared complete gobbledygook to me in that I can fit a new lower rear set of cogs to my new back wheel, using a CS-HG50-10 Shimano cassette, which gives me a 36-tooth sprocket - two extra sprockets than what I have at the minute I'm thinking/guessing which can only come in handy around here

Having done a shed load of internet searching, I've found a possible set up of what might fit the bill:

Shimano CS-HG50-10 11-36t cassette
    Fulcrum Rapid Red C24 gravel wheelset
    WTB Resolute TCS Light Fast tyres

Tell me why I'm being stupid and what if anything I've missed

Thanks
    Wheels and tyres can be quite a personal choice but your new cassette will need to compatible with your chainset.
    You mention extra sprockets - so that won't work with your shifters which will be indexed for how may you have now. Not sure what derailleur you have but you may need to check that will handle the large sprocket too.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

I’m probably using the word sprocket when I mean teeth. I understand that the cassette is compatible but you’re giving me doubts now

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    That's probably ok then.
    One other thought is that you will need rotors on your wheels so need to make sure you can fit correct ones for your calipers on the new hubs.

I've never snapped a chain, but when you're only generating about 0.7kw...
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Stolly, you need to find out if your derailleur cage can take a 36t sprocket. Also, if the freewheel on the new wheelset is different to your current one you might need a shim to index the cassette to your existing derailleur position. In laymens terms your new cogs might not line up with your derailleur.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Thanks. I may knock the set of cogs on the head for now. I still have no idea if I need a QR converter thingy for the wheels either - as a non-speaker of cyclese it seems bonkers to me that something like that isn’t even mentioned by the wheel maker on their web-site. I think it’s safe to say that all things bike are aimed considerably over the head of people like me

Mr B, I’m assuming that watts generation is where it’s at. I notice that I get an average power figure on strava that’s given in watts. Watts that all about? I’m guessing the bigger it is, the greater my power

Quote Originally Posted by Fellbeast View Post
    Thanks. I may knock the set of cogs on the head for now. I still have no idea if I need a QR converter thingy for the wheels either - as a non-speaker of cyclese it seems bonkers to me that something like that isn’t even mentioned by the wheel maker on their web-site. I think it’s safe to say that all things bike are aimed considerably over the head of people like me
    Bike tech. is a mine field and obsessed with jargon. How "slammed" is your head? When I was upgrading a road bike I was moving from a 32 biggest rear cog to a 29 and asked my dealer if he could replace the 29 with a bigger cog and he said "Sure. But I'll need to change the derailleur to "long cage".

If you are setting out on a bike accumulating crusade you might be advised to develop a relationship with a small dealer who spends his life thinking bikes. It may cost more than buying stuff off the internet but it should save you from making expensive mistakes.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I have been reading this thread, with its endless discussions of cogs, cassettes, etc., with a certain amount of wry amusement.

My bikes have some magic machinery inside a "tin can" in the rear hub. Every 10 to 15 years or so, it stops working properly and has to be replaced. I wouldn't be able to stay mounted going up some of the hills around Fellbeast's or Graham Breeze's localities, but who cares?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

To be fair this is probably my first ever new bike and I’m aged 64